Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

grinding meat

Old 10-19-2006, 06:19 PM

Default RE: grinding meat

uncballers45, I have been processing deer with my grandfather for the last 5 years. He has been a butcher for over 60 years and have been very privelaged to learn the "proper way" to do deer, hog and beef (which is pretty much all the same). Although some people like to have their burger pure deer, we tell most people to pick up a couple chuck roasts to add to the burger, usually 25% of the weight of the deer meat. You can usually find chuck roast on sale at one of your local grocery stores and $2.50 a lb is a pretty good deal. Unless it is a pretty big deer, all of the front quarter usually goes into burger, the backstraps get cubed (if you can find a cuber they make great steaks), tenders get wraped the way they are, and the hind quarters are up to the hunter. Most want the knuckle as a roast and the other steaks are either burger or cubed. I hope this helps a little. You just have to follow the sinews in the hind quarters and the steaks will just separate pretty easily. Good luck and enjoy the process.
Old 10-19-2006, 06:22 PM

forgot to mention, we make our jerky out of the hind quarter steaks by cutting into thin strips, marinating for 24 hours and smoking for 4-6 hours or as needed. Be careful who you give it to though cause everyone that eats it wants you to do it for them and it is quite labor intensive!
Old 10-19-2006, 06:26 PM

this is good stuff. i like the rump roast adding to the deer instead of fat. i am trying to watch my fat intake.