Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

grinding meat

Old 10-18-2006, 06:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: grinding meat

I don't mix any fat in with venision. It tastes way to good on its own.

I also carve steaks out of the better muscles in the rear hinds and the front shoulders. You can tell the good from the not so good by the texture of the meat. The rest goes to burger.

Tom
Old 10-18-2006, 07:43 AM
Typical Buck

When I butcher my deer I put it in different piles, meat for grinding, steaks, roasts, tenderloins, backstraps etc. I then put it in plastic quart freezer bags, take all the air out, wrap in freezer paper and freeze. Meat grinds better if partcially frozen. So before I grind it I let it freeze.
When I make my sausages I add pork steaks to my deer meat.
I don't add anything to my burger. !00% pure deer. We love it. You might try a pound or 2 to see if you and your family likes it as well. Experiment.

Old 10-18-2006, 07:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

I dont grind any of the meat, I make syakes out of the back straps, take the roasts out, cut scrap meat, make some stew meat, take the scraps to the processor and have hot dogs, polish sausage, etc made up.
Old 10-18-2006, 08:05 AM
Nontypical Buck

Wis_Bow,

I used to do that but the butchers around my area I think are in colusion. They are charging $3.50/lb to turn burger into sausage. For that price I might as well save myself the trouble and just buy it.

Tom
Old 10-18-2006, 08:50 AM

i grind anything that I want to grind....i add no fat at all....pure DEER!!!!
Old 10-18-2006, 09:29 AM
Giant Nontypical

Holy smokes are you getting ripped!

ORIGINAL: statjunk

Wis_Bow,

I used to do that but the butchers around my area I think are in colusion. They are charging $3.50/lb to turn burger into sausage. For that price I might as well save myself the trouble and just buy it.

Tom
Old 10-18-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

You can grind anything you want. About adding pork or beef fat ti it, dont do it for Jerkey! For anything else its fine but when you dry the jerky the fat will boil to the top. When cooled it will harden and its actually pretty nasty. As lean as you can get for Jerky. I grind 2 deer a year for myself into Jerky and about 6-8 total.
Old 10-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Typical Buck

I make steak jerky out of the hind quarters. The front should and extra meat arounf the kneck goes into hamburger meat. The backstraps get fried in butter
Old 10-18-2006, 10:28 AM

now what meat ginder should a guy get. i have been telling my wife we will save much money in the long run getting a grinder and doing it ourself. would a 100$ one do the trick for say 3-4 deer a year or should your go ahead and get a commercial one for 300-400$
Old 10-18-2006, 10:57 AM

Alot of good tips here.
Does the 80% lean refer to 80% venison and 20% pork fat?
Or does that mean 40% venison, 40% pork, and 20% pork/beef fat?
Any exact recipe or proportion would be great!

Quick Reply: grinding meat

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.