Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Ethics question

Old 10-17-2006, 04:32 AM

Default RE: Ethics question

i would hunt it.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Dominant Buck

Do whatever you want.....

I don't give advice anymore...... you're on your own.[8D]
Old 10-17-2006, 05:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

You said PUBLIC land, as long as you can't see each other, and your not walking right under him on your way in, go for it.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:17 AM
Fork Horn

If it is public land, and if you are there first in the morning, you can hunt anywhere you want. Just because the guy puts up a stand, doesn't mark it as his territory. It is public land. I would not use his stand however, it is his property. If I set up a stand on public land, and somebody got to the area earlier than me, then I would hunt elsewhere.

That being said, your stand looks far enough that you could probably hunt it anyway, even if he is there. Can you see his stands from your location?

Put the shoe on the other foot, inotherwords imagine you had tree stands out there, and somebody wants to put a stand up 130 yards from your stands, how would you feel? That usually answers the question. Sometimes it's best even to talk about it, so that your stand doesn't get stolen, or sabotaged, etc.

Just my rambling,

-c_str
Old 10-17-2006, 07:41 AM
Dominant Buck

130 yards away while bowhunting is a long ways to my way of thinking. I will often use other hunters as funnels to push deer my way.
Old 10-17-2006, 07:54 AM
Fork Horn

I don't know how dry you are but I do not agree with theidea that a water hole is not the place to hunt whitetail.

His feet still had mud on them in this pic! I would hunt it. It is public and he is not hunting in right anyway. He won't even know you are there.
Old 10-17-2006, 08:20 AM

Well I have 2 laddrestands on the public property I hunt ... and the past 2 yrs there have been more people showin up there then before ...last yr a buddy of mine called to tell me that someone shot a 10 point buck right under my stand ...I don't know if he was in it but I was upset at frist ... I have the sent bombs out there and all and refill them while I'm there ..so my area right ...no public so I can't really say much while I'm NOT there but if I were that is adiffrent game
Old 10-17-2006, 08:21 AM

oh and I'd rather have someone use my stand then to Steal my stand ... not that I like it but sure beats havin to replace it
Old 10-17-2006, 08:23 AM

It is public land, and you do not have a schedule of when he intends to hunt in the area, and you were also going to hunt the area before you knew about him, so I say you should be ok. Just don't set up on top of him and I don't think there should be any problems.

Good hunting and God Bless

Old 10-17-2006, 09:05 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks guys...this is my first season and I just want to make sure that I am fair to my fellow hunters out there. By the way he doesn't have stands up, the two trees are just where he uses his climber. I am going to buy my blind today and try to get some time on this spot with my son in the next few days. Thanks again for all the opinions.