Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Anyone know anything about this old compound bow? >

Anyone know anything about this old compound bow?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Anyone know anything about this old compound bow?

Old 10-16-2006, 08:13 PM

Default Anyone know anything about this old compound bow?

I've had this old girl for years, sitting around gathering dust. Since I started hunting last season, I've picked her up and got the previously broken cable and string replaced, as well as a bargain bin Vital Gear sight and Whisker Biscuit from Cabela's. I hope to get in lots of practice before next season so I can pass the NJ bowhunting course and get my license. It's made by Bear, and the model is Alaskan. I haven't been able to find any more information about it, and the labels on the bow itself are barely legible. Only thing I can get off there is 50 lb draw weight and possibly 29" draw length. If anyone knows anything more than that about this old girl, I'd appreciate it.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:17 PM

Default RE: Anyone know anything about this old compound bow?

I am pretty sure.....90% sure, that's an old Bear Whitetail II. Nice sights on it too, by the way.

LOL....yeah, just re read your post, didn't see the Alaskan part.....sheesh....maybe that's why I can't kill a buck....lack of attention....LOL
Old 10-16-2006, 08:22 PM

That last 10% will kill ya..............LOL.........
Old 10-16-2006, 08:27 PM

Yeah, with the sight I've just gotta get a new piece of fiber-optic cord as the one it came with was kinked. Oh well, it was only twenty dollars and one of my old teachers who bow-hunts said it was a good sight.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:54 PM

I don't know alot about it. I know it haseither fiberglass or wood limbs (fiberglass I believe) and a cast...metal of some kind....aluminum I think, riser. Very long ATA, as they all were in those days. Not fast at all, you'll be lucky to get 200 fps out of it, BUT.....it will hit where you want and it WILL kill deer. My first bow wasa Bear Whitetail hunter, and my second was a Whitetail II...they are both still on my wall and I occasionally get them down and shoot them.
Old 10-16-2006, 09:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

I got 4 deer with my first bow. 175fps, and I got pass thru's on all but the first! hit the deer in the right place and you'll be fine. take shots that you know and are comfortable with.

i have a vital gear sight just like yours and i love it! it is the brightest dang site i've ever seen.
Old 10-16-2006, 10:17 PM

Looking at the picture I would say that it was a original Alaskan which mean it was made in Grayling Michigan, before Bear move down to Florida.

The Alaskan was Bear top of the line bow back in the late 70’s. The let off is 45 or 50 percent on this bow. The draw weight adjustment is 10 pounds so if the bow is mark at 50 pound the adjustment go’s from 40 to 50 pounds. The draw length was dictated the wheel but you can make some adjustment to the cables on the riser.
I hope this helps.

Old 10-16-2006, 10:28 PM

Wow! Thanks for the replies! The 45 or 50 percent letoff sounds about right, and I am pretty sure there are markings on the wheels although I never looked too closely at them. The limbs are laminated wood I believe, and the riser is most likely aluminum from when the guys at the local hunting store drilled and tapped a couple holes for the sight.
Old 10-17-2006, 06:20 AM
Typical Buck

Not a Bear Whitetail II, as I have one and it only has two wheels. I was thinking a Bear Polar LTD, but perhaps the Alaskan is correct as 'the animal' stated.
Old 10-19-2006, 10:24 AM

Gonna bring this to the top once and see if anyone else knows any more information about this.

Quick Reply: Anyone know anything about this old compound bow?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.