Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 how good can deer see at night? >

how good can deer see at night?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

how good can deer see at night?

Old 10-16-2006, 03:09 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default how good can deer see at night?

i know deer feed more during the night with a full moon, and im guessing they do that because they can see better, but just how good can they see at night, during a no moon, can they still see?
Old 10-16-2006, 04:25 PM

Default RE: how good can deer see at night?

I remember reading something on the net about a study at a university where they were counting the cone and rods per square centimenter or something like that but don't remember them relating it to anything.......but I'm with you on them feeding more on a night with a full moon. I had this one place that was a great morning spot, it was between some farms and a state park. Morning after a new moon you would see deer traveling back to bedding areas, but on a morning after a full moon I wouldn't see a deer....ancedontial evidence though.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:00 PM

theycan't see in pitch black, no moon nightvery well but they can make out silhouettes alot better than the human eye. when there is just a small amount of moon light they can see very well, again alot better than the human eye. To cut around all this "if-this-and-if-thats" Yes they will see you in the dark, they will smell you and they will hear you. will they blow/snort at your, depends on the deer.
Old 10-16-2006, 06:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

there eyes preform the best in very lowlight situations but in no moon nights they dont move much at all, thus making your morning stand that much better and if i remeber correctly they dont see as well in full light but this is just something i have read
Old 10-16-2006, 06:49 PM

Here are 2 very good links to information on Whitetail vision. They are very interesting reads.I think you'll find all the information your looking for on these sites.

http://www.mcw.edu/cellbio/colorvision/
http://www.atsko.com/T15.html
Old 10-16-2006, 06:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

if they cant see red, why dont we just were red camo
Old 10-16-2006, 07:13 PM

theycan't see in pitch black, no moon nightvery well but they can make out silhouettes alot better than the human eye. when there is just a small amount of moon light they can see very well, again alot better than the human eye. To cut around all this "if-this-and-if-thats" Yes they will see you in the dark, they will smell you and they will hear you. will they blow/snort at your, depends on the deer.