Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 I suck \ longstory >

I suck \ longstory

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I suck \ longstory

Old 10-16-2006, 07:51 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: I suck \ longstory

Over the liver, under the spine? I suppose you can get there but it's unlikely you won't hit something, either or, or the arterie that runs through there.

Check out these two links.
http://home.mn.rr.com/deerfever/Anatomy.html

http://forums.mathewsinc.com/viewtopic.php?t=21358

Old 10-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think bullet head needs to change his user name to Butt Head! Quite the smacked azz.[:@]
Old 10-16-2006, 09:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I agree with Rob. The likelihood that your buck will live, considering where you hit it, is small.
If you want closure, you are gonna have to cover the territory to git-r-done. Many times, deer will return to the place they were hit and die there. If you don't think it likely for some reason, think about whatI said about the core area. Maybe you have some idea of where that could be and don't be afraid to try several of his likely daytime bedding areas.
Old 10-17-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

You don't suck! You are human.If you are conscientious as far as your equipment and your practice regimen is concerned and you are disciplined enough to take shots that are ethical shots that's all you can do.The self imposed punishment for most is enough to make sure the same mistake(if in fact there was one)never occurs again.The fellow who made the negative comment I would ignore. Learn from your experience and get out there!!Good luck!I hope you shoot a monster!
Old 10-17-2006, 01:51 PM
Typical Buck

Rob thanks for the links. Everyone , thanks for the input. Living as far away as I do and working as much as I do, I don't think I will be able to get up there before the weekend. I can't expect my father in-law to spend his time looking for him,so I will have to wait and see if he turns up before friday evening. I hope I find him soon or that I never find him at all. After looking at the links Rob sent ,I think he will be found soon. My nephew said I should have chased him all night and forced him to bleed out. Does anybody think that would have worked?

[/align]
Old 10-17-2006, 02:06 PM

No.....chasing deer only causes them to run further and further. What I have learned from bad shots is to wait and then wait longer. I shot a doe in the liver at last light and wasn't sure exactly where I hit at the time. She ran 60 yards and bedded down. I only waited a half hour (cause I thought the shot was better) and jumped her. She ran over 200 yards away with no blood after I jumped her. I looked for hours before I found her. If I would have let her lay, she would have been 60 yards from my stand.
Old 10-17-2006, 02:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Let it go. That is why the world has scavengers. We used to be scavengers - look it up, it is true. (watch out - here come the holy rollers) Now we are hunters. Just think about where we would be if none of the hunters in our past had left anything to be scavenged! You provided a great meal for a number of animals. You should be proud of yourself for feeling this way, but not hard on yourself. There are a lot of things that you are bound to do and see if you hunt long enough, and you just got to experience one of the uglier ones. Now dust yourself of and get back out there and shoot another!
Old 10-17-2006, 04:21 PM
Spike

I agree with everyone else on here. the fact that you feel like you do about it, shows that your head is in the right place. I know a few guys who could care less if they stick one and don't find it. Personally, I've been there as well, and I'll tell you, I remember my misses and bad hits, more than I ever remember good shots or harvests. They still eat at me, but I try to use them as learning experiences so they don't happen again.