HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   buck pic......thoughts, opinions??? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/159960-buck-pic-thoughts-opinions.html)

buckmasterg2xl 10-16-2006 11:26 AM

buck pic......thoughts, opinions???

what do ya'll think about this buck?......score, age.....? also, see post below and let me know if you think it's the same deer. thanks.

buckmasterg2xl 10-16-2006 11:27 AM

RE: buck pic......thoughts, opinions???

same deer????

Campo 10-16-2006 11:35 AM

I would score him in the high 140's to low 150's. I would age him at 3.5 years old, maybe 4.5. They are not the same deer, if you look at the G4 on his right side in the first pic, you will not see it in the second pic.
Both very nice bucks, good luck.
Ps. If you need any help with them,please let me know;)

buckmasterg2xl 10-16-2006 11:41 AM

i notices the same thing about the g4.......i was wondering if it was maybe hidden in the second pic...i hope your right and there are 2 deer of that caliber out there, thanks for the reply.

Germ 10-16-2006 11:44 AM

Back right leg on the inside, patch of black is darker in the top deer!

Washington Hunter 10-16-2006 11:51 AM

I would say they're both three or three and a halfyear old deer, in other words this will be their third fall.

If you look at them they look lean; their necks haven't fully developed as far as girth goes, they're tone, their backs and bellies don't sag.

As for scoring, I would probably guess the first buck at a hair over 130 and the second in the lower to mid 140's.

The second deer is a prefect buck for guessing the score on though.

If you figure a mature whitetail buck's ears are 16" apart when alert, this deer is outside of that. A deer's ears are generally 6" long, and you can tell that two tines on either antler are both right at or over 6" long. A mature whitetail buck's eyeball is around 4" in circumferance, which is good for figuring base mass. Will he make book? Absolutely.

stikbow26 10-16-2006 11:51 AM

I believe it is the same buck, and the g4 is just hiddin.. The black patch could just mean he has been peeing on him self..

buckmasterg2xl 10-16-2006 12:00 PM

thanks for the replies. i think the black patch is the tarsal gland and is darker now cause it is later in the year and the rut is much more intense. thanks again for the replies.

KodiakArcher 10-16-2006 12:08 PM

Definitely not the same buck the G4's are much longer on the 2nd buck, it's especially evident on the left antler. They are both dandies but I like the tine length of buck #2 better.

MichaelT. 10-16-2006 01:20 PM

Man, 2 of those in one area? Either of those are a once in a lifetime buck where I am at.

Incredible.

Good hunting and God bless