Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pitchfork down!!!!! (Rescored...still short) >

Pitchfork down!!!!! (Rescored...still short)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pitchfork down!!!!! (Rescored...still short)

Old 10-15-2006, 09:26 PM
Typical Buck

Default Pitchfork down!!!!! (Rescored...still short)

Well…I finally got him. I put a final chapter on a buck I named “Pitchfork”. I am not sure if anyone here has been keeping up with any of my post, but I have been after this buck for nearly a month and a half. I named him Pitchfork b/c of his unique left side, the tines are long and the main beam goes straight up, resembling a pitchfork on his left side. I have nearly 150 pictures of this guy on my game camera, and only 2, I might add, are of him during legal shooting light.

Now to the story…. Saturday, October 14, my little brother and I set out to sit in stand for an unusual plan of attack. From the scouting and photos, we knew this particular buck was coming in late and leaving early from our stand location. Our plan was to spend the night on stand, hoping to catch him slipping away from the food source a little too late. The reasoning behind this was not to bump him off the plot coming to the stand.

We geared up for a long night, packing food, water and the bare minimums and headed off for the stand. We arrived about 5 pm, plenty early, considering Pitchfork had been arriving to the plot at 8-9pm on average. The plot is on the outskirts of his bedding area, so catching him in the staging area before he arrives to the plot was next to impossible. We got settled in the tower blind with high hopes and a positive outlook. My brother remembered the video camera (which is normally bad luck) and I had bow in hand, anticipating anything could happen at any given moment.

My brother was catching up on some reading, while I was strictly watching for any movement that presented itself. It was slow and getting late, nothing was moving at all. At approx. 7:20 pm, I looked out and it looked as if a ghost had appeared from nowhere. There he was, Pitchfork, standing at the plots edge surveying the plot for any dangers that might lurk. With the strong South wind in our face, I felt confident he would become at ease and enter the plot. At this time, the nerves were starting build and the adrenaline was about to kill me. I told my brother to get ready and starting filming.

After nearly 30 seconds of standing motionless watching over the plot, he jumped the fence and started our way. He worked his way to 15 yards from the stand location. This is where the nerves really come into play, he stopped, looked up at us twice, quartering to me pretty hard. I was contemplating taking a shot at that time, but thought better of it. I felt confident he was going to turn and give me a good broadside shot. After he relaxed, he turned to his right and proceeded to work towards the center of the plot. When he turned I pulled my bow back, found a good anchor, and waited for the right time. He stopped at 20 yards quartering away and I let the Gold Tip 5575, tipped with a Scorpion XP broad head, fly.

He wheeled around and left the plot in the same spot he had entered. The shot felt good, I heard it hit him, and listened as I heard some crashing in the trees 20 seconds later. He didn’t go 70 yards before piling up. That was one of the most enjoyable experiences I have ever had while I have been hunting. I have been bow hunting for 7 years now and he is the best deer I have taken with a bow. On top of that, we got it on video and I was fortunate enough to live the experience with my little brother on his 14th birthday. It is definitely a day I won’t ever forget.

From all of the pictures, my friends and I have guessed this deer to score anywhere from 125-140”. I personally had guessed him around 130”. I put the tape to him today; he grossed 128 4/8 and netted 124 6/8. Just narrowly missing P&Y. He didn’t quite score like we all thought, but I am very proud of him none-the-less. He dressed out at 170 pounds, making him the largest bodied deer I have taken, and he is my 3rd largest to date and largest with a bow.

Thanks for reading,

Trent

Here are some pics:

Me and the camera man:

Me and Dad:

Last one:

Old 10-15-2006, 09:32 PM

Default RE: Pitchfork down!!!!!

That is awsome...Congratulations and enjoy !!!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Site Buck Guru

You missed something, he scores more than that, Looks to gross 130s.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:34 PM
Fork Horn

thats awesome... congrats on a great buck, theres no feeling like scouting a buck then targeting him and getting it done
Old 10-15-2006, 09:39 PM

Congrats! Very nice deer!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:42 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

He has length and widht, but lacks mass.

I'd say he scored it correctly.

Great buck, great story, great pictures. Thanks for posting!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

WOW that is so cool getting the buck you are after and having the whole gang there to enjoy it with you. You took some great pictures of your trophy too. I sure thaught he would score better than that too. Congrats on your great trophy.

I got one 2 years ago I had gotten on film too. Butit was with shotgun in IL. , and I wasn't particulerly hunting him.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:46 PM

ORIGINAL: GregH

Sorry Bro, looks like he scored it correct. Like Washington Hunter said, he lacks mass and also his brows are short.

Either way, nice buck and congrats!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:52 PM

What a great buck and a super story. You can tell how wonderful it was by all of the big smiling faces. It is a beautiful buck, and I am happy your dream that day was fulfilled.

God Bless

Old 10-15-2006, 09:54 PM

For those of you who say you pass bucks up unless they hit 130, thanks for saving little ones like this for us! Proves how putting a number on the deer you are going to shoot is tough. I usually go with 15 plus spread and 8 good points. This buck definitely qualifies.

Quick Reply: Pitchfork down!!!!! (Rescored...still short)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.