Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Whats the point of serrated broadheads? >

Whats the point of serrated broadheads?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Whats the point of serrated broadheads?

Old 10-15-2006, 08:46 PM

Default Whats the point of serrated broadheads?

What's the theory behind these broadheads that have a pseudo-serrated edge? Only thing I can think of is that they might grab a few more arteries instead of letting them 'roll' off the corners. But isn't that the point of using sharp heads...and wouldn't 'grabbing' take away alot of penetration?

They're obviously fairly popular, was just wondering.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:49 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Whats the point of serrated broadheads?

I toothink that you would want theslickest flat edge blade possible.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:50 PM

ORIGINAL: Soilarch

The the theory behind these broadheads like that have are pseudo-serrated? Only thing I can think of is they might grab a few more arteries instead of letting them 'roll' off the corners. But isn't that the point of using sharp heads...and would 'grabbing' take away alot of penetration?

They're obviously fairly popular, was just wondering.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1738371
Read this and you will know why they SUCK[:@]!!!!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:33 PM
Nontypical Buck

serrated blades are BAD. tissue bleeds the most when there are smooth cuts through it, no tearing of any membranes etc. because that'raggedness'helps clotting. Ever notice razor cuts bleed more, but hurt less than say a tearing wound? Less nerves are damaged, but it takes longer for the blood to clot. what does this mean for hunting? a razor sharp blade makes a better blood trail, and the deer feels less (no miniscule tears), meaning it will perhaps run not quite so far.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've wondered the same thing, and I wondered why people would buy them. Maybe its because they look "mean or cool."
Old 10-16-2006, 08:09 AM

Well you guys agree with me apparantly. I see so many of them I figured there had to be something to them...or at least something in there favor. I know the indian's arrowheads were jagged...but flint is a totally different animal than steel and their options were pretty limiting.

(Sidenote: Anyone ever look at electron microscope's view of flint's edge vs. Surgical scalpel? It's down right scary...makes you wonder why they don't use flint.)

Joe, you're right. Not only does a clean cut leave less surface area for the clotting reaction...it also triggers less of the whole response. In a sense, kinda tricks the body into not knowing its bleeding out until its too late.
Old 10-16-2006, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: JoeRE

serrated blades are BAD. tissue bleeds the most when there are smooth cuts through it, no tearing of any membranes etc. because that'raggedness'helps clotting. Ever notice razor cuts bleed more, but hurt less than say a tearing wound? Less nerves are damaged, but it takes longer for the blood to clot. what does this mean for hunting? a razor sharp blade makes a better blood trail, and the deer feels less (no miniscule tears), meaning it will perhaps run not quite so far.
I can't say it any better than that.