Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 NY 8 point falls victim to Grim Reaper****Pics updated(Thanks jimbohunter1) >

NY 8 point falls victim to Grim Reaper****Pics updated(Thanks jimbohunter1)

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

NY 8 point falls victim to Grim Reaper****Pics updated(Thanks jimbohunter1)

Old 10-15-2006, 07:26 AM
Fork Horn

Default NY 8 point falls victim to Grim Reaper****Pics updated(Thanks jimbohunter1)

OK ladies and Gentelmen, pull up a chair, grab a coffee we are going on a hunt.... Saturday morning I got in my stand at 6am. Cold and windy here in central NY. sat till 9:30 over the scrapes I found last week and my morning concluded seeing 2 squirels and 1 grouse. Now we are going to fast-forward to the evening hunt. Did everyone take a nap? Good! Let's go! I decided to go the other 60 acre piece of land and hunt just to see a deer. I told myself I would take a big doe for management purposes if given the oppurtunity. I end up hunting the wind and set up 40 yards from a ridge with the wind in my face.Now it's 5pm and here comes 4 long beards. I decide to take 1 when a doe comes running by @50 yds. She stops, turns my eats a leaf and takes off. Yeah,she was down wind I dont know what happened. Now lets fast-forward again to 6ish. I here something behind me, I turned around and see a body between the trees, the deer moves and I start shakin.I wasn't use to seeing that kind of rack while hunting in Oct..That's right, it literally scared the crap out of me. I'm now up and ready. He walks broadside to some small trees about 60yds and starts eating them. Now, I'm up in a tree 18ft in open and I mean open hardwwods. He's looking in my direction and I thought for sure he was looking right @ me. We all now that feeling right? So, anyway he starts walking farther away so I reach for the grunt tube and hit it a few times real soft. He looks in my direction walks to a tree 50yds away and beats the snot out of it for like 10 min. I grunt more(I'm getting desperate for a shot now with shooting hours approaching) He is now walkink my way but from behind me and my safty harness was in thw way so I couldn't pull back @30yds he would have to come a little more and get parallel with me. He's doing it..I take a deep breath, hang out my stand a little to make sure my safety harness doesn't hit my arm he stops in the opening and WHACK. I know it was a good shot but gave him 1.5 hrs I was still second guessing my shot b/c I thought this was to good to be true. So my friends arrive and we can't find blood[:@]We start finding blood 15 yds away on ferns and there is not much and what there was it's getting watery from all the rain we got. Now we are getting good bloodand I find my arrow. The blood looks good on it and I start to get the butterflies until we find a bed with a little blood in it. Then it disappers. It then made a hard left and laid down again with more blood in the bed. Now we are not finding a blood trail just beds. I'm now getting a bad feeling. We all line up 20yds apart and walk parellel with the beds. we must of walked 30 yds when my buddy says . HERE HE IS. I about cried, it was definately a up and down roller coaster with the blood trail with a happy ending. I will post pics later but some measurements are 16 1/2 spread (now i'moriginally from PAand we measure farthest outside while my friendshere in NY measure inside)with 7" G2's and the brow tines curl forward with a couple stickers at the bases. Lot's of character and I know this deer goes at least 180lbs. I will post pics as soon as we get done capeing it out this morning... Yee-haw my first buck for the wall and I couldn't wait to walk up this morning and share it with the NuntingNet family

gergie
Old 10-15-2006, 07:36 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: NY 8 point falls victim to Grim Reaper

Good story gergie, thanks for sharing. Congratulations on the NY Whitetail and I look forward to the pictures.
Old 10-15-2006, 07:54 AM

Congrats!

I can't wait to see the pics either.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:11 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats, I can feel your excitement through your post. Can't wait for the pictures.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:25 AM

Yee Haw, from the south gergie, and congrats. Man , I could feel the excitment in your voice while Iwas reading your story. I got edgy just reading along with you. Congrats , and I am proud for you. keep the good times coming, and connect again real soon.

Good Hunting and God bless.
Old 10-15-2006, 08:37 AM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats man. Nothing like killing a good buck with a bow is it? I'm looking foward to a picture. Just out of curiousity (because I am interested in the broadheads that you were using) where did you hit him and what kind of penetration did you get? Were you using the razortip Grim Reapers or the regular trocar tip? How far did he travel? Come on man, you know us bowhunters we're obsessed with details, details, details... LOL!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:01 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man good job!!! I can't wait to see the pics.
Old 10-15-2006, 09:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and a big Atta Boy! It's nice to get it done and you sound pumped.>>>>Whack!
Old 10-15-2006, 09:40 AM
Typical Buck

Awesome! Can't wait to see the pics. I had an encounter with a smallish 8 point (although he still would be good for a bow kill) this weekend but unfortunately, I was asleep at the wheel and missed the opportunity.
Old 10-15-2006, 10:05 AM
Fork Horn

Nice job and Story Gergie! Where are you in NY?
MIKE

Quick Reply: NY 8 point falls victim to Grim Reaper****Pics updated(Thanks jimbohunter1)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.