HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   October Lull? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/159737-october-lull.html)

Saxman1819 10-15-2006 07:04 AM

October Lull?

I know there is some debate about the October lull. Well I was out in west/central Maryland (Damascus Area) and saw a buck at about 2pm-230pm. Very decent buck. In fact, a buck that I've seen out there before. Do you think he was out and active because of the cold snap we've had here or do you think the rut is closer than I thought. I was thinking the rut was going to be beginning of Nov or so. Anyone know when the rut should be for this area?

Of course I spooked him cause even though I was staring right at him I never actually saw him. It was windy and everything was moving so I waited for a windy spell before I moved so the wind would mask my leaf crunching. I had been standing in the same spot for 15-20min just looking around and when the wind picked up I took a step and he was gone. [:@]

Hope he'll be back. But I am more intrigued/confused that I saw him during midday hours anyway. What do you think?

hammerman 10-15-2006 07:09 AM

RE: October Lull?

I've been seeing bucks over the last week during the midday, I think it has to do more with the cold weather than the rut.

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-15-2006 07:21 AM

Check the moon phase and lunar times for the best time and see if corrisponds for this particular of midday movement. Just curious?

Mathewsboy 10-15-2006 07:25 AM

I agree with the cold weather. I hadn't see SQUAT till our cold front hit and dropped a foot of snow. Saw 5 bucks one night then..

Saxman1819 10-15-2006 11:54 AM

Ok here is a cut and paste of the Sun and Moon times on that day.

Friday
13 October 2006 Eastern Daylight Time

SUN
Begin civil twilight 6:50 a.m.
Sunrise 7:16 a.m.
Sun transit 12:55 p.m.
Sunset 6:33 p.m.
End civil twilight 7:00 p.m.

MOON
Moonrise 10:40 p.m. on preceding day
Moon transit 6:41 a.m.
Moonset 2:37 p.m.
Moonrise 11:44 p.m.
Moonset 3:16 p.m. on following day

I saw the deer at around 230pm. I thought that deer moved more when the moon is directly over head or under foot.
[&:]

mobow 10-15-2006 12:15 PM

This is why there are so many books written on deer hunting. There is no firm rule when it comes to these critters. I find a bit of truth in the weather thing, and the moon phase, but deer are deer and they pretty much do what they want WHEN they want.

I've seen lots of deer moving on days when the prediction was low, and I've seen no deer on days when the prediction was high. I've also seen the predictions right on....Who knows??? That's why I spend as much time in the woods as I can.

chazspot 10-15-2006 03:49 PM

I saw a mature buck with 7 does moving mid day on Friday. He was a nice one too. This was in central, MD. Matter of fact I saw a lot of movement mid day on Friday. The moon guide did say deer movement on Friday was going to be very active. I'm sure the cold temp's helped too. I think all variables are collective; three important being moon, temp, and pressure.

In other words, if there isn't significant hunting pressure then the moon and temperature will be more prominent.

I'm sure there are other variables to consider.

Side Note: Hunting partners saw a lot of lip curling from bucks on Friday morning. (Oct. 13th)

TradTech 10-15-2006 05:21 PM

Early moon rise is great as well as a late moon set. Overhead and under foot normally you should see increased deer activity.

When it's the "perfect world" day, I'm usually in the stand an hour before the rise/set or transit.

Cold weather always helps.

Rut should be close to normal this year around the 10th or so of Nov. for the Ohio valley region.