Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 How did you guys get into hunting? >

How did you guys get into hunting?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

How did you guys get into hunting?

Old 10-14-2006, 07:17 PM
Fork Horn

Default How did you guys get into hunting?

How did you guys/girls get into hunting? Did one of your parents or friend get you into it? Any good beginner stories?
Old 10-14-2006, 07:28 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: How did you guys get into hunting?

There were many seeds / ideas sown into my mind..

1. My friend got a 22 when he was 6 back in 1960.

2. My grandfather was an advid hunter from Lancaster County ,PA and my best friend. I wanted ot be like him. He talked about hunting all the time and always had deer on hand.

3. The neighboring farm kids would boast about the deer they would shoot.

I was raised by a tough step dad and found MUCH peace walkng in the woods looking for a bushy tail or cottontail. I always got praised for bringing something back home...therefore ..I kept trying to bring something back home. I hunted ALL the time... crows, dove, squirrels, ring necked pheasants, quail, ground hogs, wood cock, and deer.
Thank God for hunting. It probably kept me from going nuts...still is[8D]
Old 10-14-2006, 07:49 PM

well my father died when i was young so I did'nt hunt or fish much until my brother-in-law came along. My brother-in-law and his dad started taking me with them when I was about sixteen,,I loved it ..His dad had a knife with fishing line in it, andone time while deer hunting during mid day ,,we cut willow sticks for fishing rods and caught little cat fish in a slough off the river,,,He was aways doing little things like that too make it fun...they spooked some doe's by me so I could my first gun deer,,,they also got me into archery, brother-in-law's dad Herb bought me my first lefty Bow,and old used bear, I love that bow and have it still today,,Herb'snot with us anymore but I still think of him every time I go deer hunting.
Old 10-14-2006, 07:55 PM

My dad did some hunting growing up, but then got the job, family, etc... and never went again, but some of my extended family did. I would hear them talk about it and decided I wanted to try it. I began to educate myself, and then jumped in with both feet and never looked back. Many years, and many , many thousands of dollars later, I love it and I am most happy when I am doing it.

As far as my eduacation goes: Tv, books, magazines, and videos.. lots and lots of videos, and a little help from a friend or two.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I never 'got' into hunting. I was BORN intoit.

Old 10-14-2006, 08:20 PM
Boone & Crockett

Self taught and hunted. I used to ride my bike to our family farm and hunt with my single barrel 16 gauge H&R, yes illegally alone at 12 years old, single mother, I went by myself. I used to take an old fiberglass recurve during bow season. I received a compound at 15, at 16 I could drive and expand my hunting territory, at 18 I bought a 77 Landcruiser and my hunting really expanded, here I sit today, 25 bowseasons, 28 hunting seasons, all done by self means.
Old 10-14-2006, 08:23 PM
Nontypical Buck

My grandfather and dad hunted when I was a kid. But neither of them forced it on me or my brothers. Out of 3 kids I was the only one to pick it up. For me it just started with shooting an old recurve and took off from there.
Old 10-14-2006, 09:01 PM
Fork Horn

When I was 40 years old I found a hunting magazine on my bus (I'm a bus driver in Brooklyn, NY). As I was flipping through it and looking at the pictures I thought I would love to try hunting but didn't know anyone that hunted.I went toa sporting good store in B'klyn and figured I'd buy a rifle to hunt with. The store happened to have rental hunting videos, so I figured before I buy a rifle I had better rent a video to see what it was all about. When I got home and popped the video in the TV I was suprised to find out it was a bowhunting video. It was the most amazing thing I ever saw. Long story short...I bought a bow and have been super into it ever since. I only wish I started younger in life!