Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 iNDIANA DNR to allow pistols during archery season >

iNDIANA DNR to allow pistols during archery season

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

iNDIANA DNR to allow pistols during archery season

Old 03-29-2007, 05:22 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: iNDIANA DNR to allow pistols during archery season

That caliber of another's character is unknown. The caliber of my handgun is certain.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:41 AM

I also live in Indiana and I don't understand why this rule has not been the case forever anyways. You never know who you are going to run into while in the woods and I would much rather be able to pull a pistol than try and get an arrow knocked, draw, and then shoot. It is about time we get with the program and allow people to participate in the right that was given to us.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:45 AM

i wish they would pass a law like that here in ohio. because durring the spring i do some pig hunting down in southern ohio and if im useing my bow i would like to have a hand gun handy just in case that hog wants to come charging at me. like others have said you also never know when there's going to be some jerk waiting for you in the woods.
Old 03-29-2007, 05:50 AM

Who wants to guess if I am from Indiana too?!?! I also agree taht this rule shouldn't have been in place anyways! Looking at it superficially it looks like a good rule, however law breakers are just that... law breakers! Saying there are no dangerous animals in Indiana isn't exactly true. (besides the backwoods meth makers) Here around Terre Haute there are a couple 90lb cougars on the loose. I sure as hell wouldn't want to run into one of them with just a pointy stick!
Old 03-29-2007, 06:42 AM
Dominant Buck

Let's just use a "hypothetical"....

If I'm bowhunting in an area that is known to harbor animals that are (in THEIR element)....higher on the food chain than me.......

I really am not going to let a line on a piece of paper determine whether or not I protect myself. I'm going to have my gun with me.

Period.
Old 03-29-2007, 07:58 AM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: GMMAT

Let's just use a "hypothetical"....

If I'm bowhunting in an area that is known to harbor animals that are (in THEIR element)....higher on the food chain than me.......

I really am not going to let a line on a piece of paper determine whether or not I protect myself. I'm going to have my gun with me.

Period.
LOL ..... I wid ya Jeff!
Old 03-29-2007, 11:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

It passed last year here in Florida , on state land , I think its aways been the case on private land , Im all for it .
Old 03-29-2007, 11:15 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: HCTurkeyHunter

Hello all.

I am from Indiana. Our beloved DNR Director has issued a temporary rule change that will all archery hunter (turkey and deer) to carry pistols with them in the field if the hunter has a valid handgun permit. I am utterly in shock over this rule. I will guarentee that slobs will shoot deer with their pistols if given the chance. I am totally against this decision.

A licensed hundgun owner has the right to carry a gun. However, that same person does not have a right to hunt. Hunting is a privilage. If you want to carry your gun, then carry it. You just can't hunt with a bow if that is your choice.

Any discussion on this??
Dude,
First, pull your undies out of your crack and calm down... breathe....

What is the big deal? As far as I can tell, the average hand gun has about the same distance as a bow, and the guy with the permit is at least so far, a law abiding citizen, or he wouldn't have gotten the permit.

It is his right to carry the gun, but I guess we could what if it to death and say that this same guy could shoot innocent school children with the same gun on the same day. But you're worried that he may kill a deer withthe handguninstead of the bow that he brought tokill it with....?

Could it happen; sure. Will it happen; probably. Often; probably not. Will the world slam into the sun; no.

Anyway, this whole thing is just a trick, that you fell for. This is a temporary measure, so that people don't focus on the .50 cal thing so much, which isn't temporary by the way. How about you go focus on that...
Old 03-29-2007, 11:33 AM
Giant Nontypical

They just passed the same garbage in PA. Our law enforcement officials are licking their wounds, but the hunters seem to be thrilled. I'll never understand how any bowhunter could view this as a good thing.

I wish I knew what a lot of you guys are afraid of. I can understand if you live in an area with native timberwolves and grizzlies, but most of these states passing this retarded law are out east, where the scariest animal in the woods is a 35 pound coyote, or your neighbor's stray cat. LOL

Crikey, you're a 200 pound grown man with a bow and a quiver full of razor-tipped arrows. You have a knife on your side, a cell phone in your pocket and you're wearing camo and combat boots. Newsflash guys: if you're afraid of the boogie man, you'll still be afraid of the boogie man even if you have your poaching pistol in your pocket.

I can't wait to hear everybody start crying when your local poacher scumball gets a concealed carry permit and starts taking his "pistol" to the woods with him (because he's afraid of the boogie man too) - and cracks a 140 class buck at 75 yards with his .223 Encore. Uh oh.

The devil, as with everything, is always in the details. If you allow any type of handgun in the woods during bow season, without restricting the barrel length, or disallowing scoped handguns, you're essentially giving your local scumballs carte blanche to carry a precision weapon into the archery stand. That's the price you pay, though, when you blindly clamor for the right to concealed carry.

Oh, I know, poachers will be poachers. But before this law was passed, a WCO could slam anyone with a fine who was bowhunting with a firearm (which made the poacher a criminal). Now, that same WCO catches that same scumball, under the same circumstances, and all the sudden, he's a law-abiding citizen.

Congratulations guys, you just took the teeth right out of your own law enforcement, andmade it easier on the criminal to do what he does best.

Again, if you have cougars, grizzly bears or t-wolves in your woods, then this all doesn't apply to you. You have a legitimate reason to protect yourself, IMO.

Just my .02
Old 03-29-2007, 11:40 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: quiksilver

They just passed the same garbage in PA. Our law enforcement officials are licking their wounds, but the hunters seem to be thrilled. I'll never understand how any bowhunter could view this as a good thing.

I wish I knew what a lot of you guys are afraid of. I can understand if you live in an area with native timberwolves and grizzlies, but most of these states passing this retarded law are out east, where the scariest animal in the woods is a 35 pound coyote, or your neighbor's stray cat. LOL

Crikey, you're a 200 pound grown man with a bow and a quiver full of razor-tipped arrows. You have a knife on your side, a cell phone in your pocket and you're wearing camo and combat boots. Newsflash guys: if you're afraid of the boogie man, you'll still be afraid of the boogie man even if you have your poaching pistol in your pocket.

I can't wait to hear everybody start crying when your local poacher scumball gets a concealed carry permit and starts taking his "pistol" to the woods with him (because he's afraid of the boogie man too) - and cracks a 140 class buck at 75 yards with his .223 Encore. Uh oh.

The devil, as with everything, is always in the details. If you allow any type of handgun in the woods during bow season, without restricting the barrel length, or disallowing scoped handguns, you're essentially giving your local scumballs carte blanche to carry a precision weapon into the archery stand. That's the price you pay, though, when you blindly clamor for the right to concealed carry.

Oh, I know, poachers will be poachers. But before this law was passed, a WCO could slam anyone with a fine who was bowhunting with a firearm (which made the poacher a criminal). Now, that same WCO catches that same scumball, under the same circumstances, and all the sudden, he's a law-abiding citizen.

Congratulations guys, you just took the teeth right out of your own law enforcement, andmade it easier on the criminal to do what he does best.

Again, if you have cougars, grizzly bears or t-wolves in your woods, then this all doesn't apply to you. You have a legitimate reason to protect yourself, IMO.

Just my .02
I agree with you - ban all guns! Or no, lets just rewrite the 2nd amendment to say, "citizens have the right to bare arms, except - while bow hunting"!

Go look up paranoia... and greed...

Quick Reply: iNDIANA DNR to allow pistols during archery season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.