Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 UPDATED:  My 7 point and STORY >

UPDATED: My 7 point and STORY

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

UPDATED: My 7 point and STORY

Old 10-12-2006, 08:59 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default UPDATED: My 7 point and STORY

Well, it was Oct 11. It was cold, windy (WNW wind) and SNOWING. A low pressure front had moved in the previous day and brought along with it cold arctic air from Canada. I woke up that morning for work with about 4 or 5 inches of snow on the ground and had already planned of going hunting after work. I had hunted the previous night knowing the storm was coming and thought for sure the deer would move, but I saw nada. Work was over and I headed home to gather all of my hunting gear and take a shower. I saw 8 does and one Spike and the ride home and NEW they would be feeding and moving all afternoon and the rest of the evening. I needed to get to my stand ASAP.
I got to my stand and was all situated by 3:30 and the ground and trees were covered with snow and I was loving it, well for hunting anyways, otherwise the white stuff can go. The wind was perfect for my stand location and I sat with anticipation of the BIG ONE strolling in. An hour had passed and I hadn’t seen anything yet. I was sending my wife a text message from my cell phone when I looked up and saw a spike horn making his way in. Then another buck and another buck. And then One more.. Before I knew, it I had 4 bucks at my stand. Two spikes, a forkie, and a 5 pointer. After a couple minutes, 3 of them took off and then came back 20 minutes later. Then about an hour later or so, the 7 point I shot came trotting in. Then one of the smaller bucks spooked and they all took off. Ask me if I was upset? 20 minutes later they all came back along with 2 does. The 7 pointer, walked in and gave me a slight quartering away shot and I took it. I saw the fletching go through the deer and immediately thought, I hit way too high. The snow was falling hard and I knew I had to get down NOW and find my arrow and get on his track or he’d be gone forever. I found my arrow, full of blood and blood sprayed on a tree behind where he was standing. I started to follow his track and it got weaker and weaker and eventually the snow had covered up just about all the existing tracks. I couldn’t find any blood or anything. I thought, he’s gone, I hit him above the spine. I got out of there because my dad was waiting for me in the truck and my mom had both kids.
I got to my mom’s house and convinced her to let me go look for the buck for one more hour. I said, if I don’t go look now, I’ll never find him in the morning under a foot or so of snow, so they were predicting anyways. I went back and went to where I had last been and started looking with a better flashlight. I found a spot where It looked like he had made jump and when I went over there I saw my tracks from earlier and thought, "Damn it", I was already here, but I went and looked anyways. Sure enough, I saw two little specks of blood on some snow that was laying on a dead tree that was leaning over. I took 5 more steps forward and there he was!!! I couldn’t believe it, I was 15 yrds from him earlier. I was so happy. The arrow ended up hitting just below the spine and exiting right behind his shoulder. I’m so glad I went back and looked that night. I went back to my moms to get my 6 yr old so he cold come find the deer and watch the gut job. He had another lesson on deer anatomy. I had also called my buddy to help drag. That’s pretty much the story. I hope you enjoyed and don’t mind any of the grammar and spelling.. Lol

Old 10-12-2006, 09:09 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: My 7 point.

Looks like you and your buddy had one awesome hunt. Congrats on a beautiful buck!!! I bet that tracking was cool in the snow.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:12 PM
Fork Horn

did u shoot him around a development?? nice deer
Old 10-12-2006, 09:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

Nice buck Mathewsboy. Looks like you put the broadhead right where it needed to be.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:19 PM
Typical Buck

Congrats on the hunt, looks like a nice deer.
Brandon
Old 10-12-2006, 09:21 PM

What is all that white stuff all over the ground?
Nice buck!
Old 10-12-2006, 10:50 PM
Nontypical Buck

Congrats!
Old 10-13-2006, 12:13 AM

Nice buck, congrats!!!
Old 10-13-2006, 04:51 AM
Typical Buck

Looks like the snow got them up and moving. Congrats to you and your buddy.
Old 10-13-2006, 05:27 AM
Nontypical Buck

Man that snow helped here in MI, I think they are already doing some pre chasing. I didn't get to hunt the AM hunt... I was ticked. Awesome buck, he looks very simliar to my dad's 7 last year!

Quick Reply: UPDATED: My 7 point and STORY

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.