HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Question for warm weather hunters (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/159429-question-warm-weather-hunters.html)

Chuck7 10-12-2006 07:36 PM

Question for warm weather hunters

If I do get blessed and shoot a deer; how long do I got before the meat is in question? In Florida ,our temps have been averaging 86 degrees in the afternoon. I've been recording the temperature in my science class.;)The man at the checkin station said 3 hours. If that's true that is not a long time. When you figure I have to wait before I trail it...run to my truckto get the game cart, 1/2 mile away,get it weighed and tagged , and drive the 45 minutes home.
C7

Oneshot7 10-12-2006 07:54 PM

RE: Question for warm weather hunters

7 hours tops is what i would trust but definetley more than 3 you wouldnt be able to recover the deer in time hardly but 7 is what i trust

Chuck7 10-12-2006 07:57 PM

Thanks partner...there is a convenient store 10 miles from the WMA .I was planning to pack the cavity with unopened bags of ice if I get one.
C7

mobow 10-12-2006 08:07 PM

ASAP in 85 degree+. The last one I shot in that temp was quartered and in the fridge w/in 2 hours. You can take some precautions though that will give you some time. Obviously dress it out immediately. Then prop the chest open and shove a bag of ice in there. Maybe 2, depending on the size of the deer. Keep it out of the sunlight. Hose it off w/ cold water if you can. If you can do all of that, you should be ok for about 8 hours. But sooner is obviously better.

stinkbelly 10-13-2006 05:20 AM

I shot mine this year when it was 98 degrees. I shot it in the evening and the butcher was closed until the next day. I had it gutted and completely surrounded by ice in about 4 hours. I did have it gutted and cooled down with well water in about 2 hours. I had to keep it over night so I made a bed of ice in the truck bed. I put the deer on the ice. I then filled it up with ice. I put it on the briskit, on the neck,and between the thighs. I then put a complete layer of ice on top of the deer. After this I wrapped it with a tarp. I keep the ice in the bags so as it melts it doesn't fall off.

Once I had to keep one longer and didn't know how to quarter it out (I was young). I made a u-shape out of the tarp and put the deer in it with it's feet up. I then filled it with ice. I tied the tarp together and pulled it over the tail gate and tied it to the bumper. That kept it totally surrounded by ice. The water drained out the end of the tarp.

I hunt hot weather and usually have it on ice by 4 hours. I also shoot 99% of mine in the evening and don't have to worry about the sun.

statjunk 10-13-2006 06:36 AM

Just butcher it yourself. Quarter it out put the quarters in a cooler and butcher it when you have time.

A buddy of mine just paid $160 to have a med size deer turned into summer sausage. I can't believe what butchers are charging these days.

Tom

Chuck7 10-13-2006 12:02 PM

Thanks gentlemen.
c7