Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Who or what?

Old 10-12-2006, 09:02 AM

Default Who or what?

Who got you into hunting, or did you just decide on your own that you wanted to hunt?

Who taught you what you know about hunting, or did you teach yourself?

Who do you typically hunt with, or do you hunt alone?

Do you hunt anything besides deer?

Just thought this would be kinda fun and interesting all in the same...

I'll go first, my husband invited me to hunt, I said no, but I will sit with you.... next thing I knew, he had bought me a gun for my birthday in August and 3 months later I killed my first deer. I was hooked after that, have taken 3 deer in 3 years. He's now got me into bowhunting (obviously), pheasant hunting, turkey hunting, and dove hunting. Everything I know and practice I learned from my husband. I am now learning my kids in the way of the outdoors, and I think my husband was the best thing that ever happened to me and my kids. At least when they are teenagers they will be looking forward to hunting season and hopefully it will keep them out of a little trouble! LOL

Your turn...
Old 10-12-2006, 09:22 AM

Default RE: Who or what?

Well, I basically have started from scratch. I’m a first generation hunter in my family. I just got into hunting this year, I was given a family heirloom .30-06 in January, and I bought my first bow in June. I have never hunted anything before this year. I have tons of friends that like to hunt, so I have people to go with. And I will hunt anything that moves, and is legal.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:30 AM
Fork Horn

I have to say my Dad was the guy who got me started. He and my uncle were always out hunting small game, deer and bear. I am 1 of his 5 sons and the only one who took hunting seriously. 2 others tried it, but have not been out there in years. My Dad and I were best hunting buddies until his untimely death 5 years ago. Now I hunt alone. What a huge change in hunting ... going from breakfast together and talk of the stratagy and just the pure commradere of being together, to now just being out there by myself. I have a son in college who is going to resume hunting once school is done next year, and a 9 year old who is just chomping at the bit to get out there and start.
But let me say this, to those of you who do have your best hunting buddy still there with you.... be it your brother, father, wife or good friend....
enjoy what you have with them now. Take notice how much you enjoy that togetherness and companionship... it is really a great thing.
I look forward to sharing all those times with my 2 boys in the years to come. In the meantime I keep memories of my Dad near and dear to myself while out there these days.
DW
Old 10-12-2006, 09:34 AM

I'm sorry to hear of your loss.

I can't even imagine losing my hunting partner, life partner, and best friend. We obviously have our bad days, as do every couple, but the bond that hunting brings us is a unique one that unfortunately, most couples will never share. For anyone who hasn't shared something this sacred with someone so close, you can't even begin to describe it.

I don't know what I would do if I ever lost him. [&o]

Because of my husband, there is now a whole new generation of hunters in my family. My children, who are from my first marriage, are extremely excited about hunting and are chomping at the bit, and my mom, of all people, is going to be hunting her first year with me this year. I am hoping I can make it an enjoyable experience for her so I may share more special memories throughout the years. I am so extremely excited to be able to have an opportunity to share something that means so much to me with my mom who has given me so much from the day I was born.

Old 10-12-2006, 09:37 AM
Typical Buck

My whole family hunts, or use to. My dad taught me a little otherwise I learned on my own. Trial and error. I unfortunatly hunt alone so there is always room for anyone who wants to venture up. My dad has lost interest over the years. My younger brother is in college so he doesn't have time. I hunt deer, bear, turkey, phesant, grouse, and water fowl. I do have two boys that are 4 and 6 so I am excited for them to start coming with me. The oldest has been out a few times this year already and I am happy to say he loves it.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:43 AM
Typical Buck

I guess my dad introduced me to hunting when I was 7-8 by taking me out with him. By the time I was 10, he lost interest in hunting but kept me involved in shooting. Started hunting on my own when I was 13 with a hand-me-down .243 winchester. Killed a couple spikes and does before I joined the Marines at 18. The training I recieved in the Corps honed my hunting skills and when I got out in November of '91I got back into the woodsstalking whitetails. Picked up bowhunting in '92 and have been addicted ever since. I have hunted with the same group of 4 buddies since '91.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:09 AM

my husband badgered me for about 2 years before i agreed to go. i told him i would try it, and if i shot a deer and it cried, i was done. well, here i am 13 years later and i'm still doing it. i just love being out there. i hunt with my husband and my father. i always sit alone, but i like knowing they are in radio distance. i love going out with my dad on weekdays when its just the two of us walking in the woods talking. i don't think we are even really hunting. its the quality time we spend together that matters, not the deer.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:49 AM

LOL, I like to have someone to talk to either by radio or text message when I am hunting as well. I much prefer it when hubby goes with me rather than me going out on my own... I guess it's just the protection/safety issue.

Old 10-12-2006, 11:15 AM

My Dad and grandpa got me into it. Although, I am the only one that archery hunts. My dad told me that once I bring one home that is big enough, he'll start.
I hunt just about everything I can, Grouse, Pheasants, Woodcock, Turkey, Ducks, Geese, and of course deer, I'm also thinking of Bear hunting this year or next with my Bow.
In PA I usually hunt alone or with my Dad. In NY I usually hunt with the Inlaws.
I'm trying to get my wife into it But I'm not sure how? She has gone spring Turkey, and Duck hunting before, but she didin't have a liscense so she just sat. And thats kind of boring for her. Any suggestions????
Old 10-12-2006, 11:47 AM

My father-in-law got me started before I married his step daughter.

I have always WANTED to hunt since I was a kid, but there was no one in the familly who participated. My grandfather was a big time sport fisherman and showed me the romes there. My father did nothing associated with the outdoors. He was a gear-head and showed me the way around cars and motorbikes. I appreciate them both for that.

I was invited to go on a management hunt in S.D. by my FIL for does only shooting .50 cal muzzle loaders. I was hooked after that. I loved being "On the hunt" more than just shooting the dear. I wanted to spend more time "Hunting" and there are not allot of places that allow any kind of firearms in my area, so it natrually led me to bow hunting.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.