HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   squirrels tell me when deer are around. (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/159246-squirrels-tell-me-when-deer-around.html)

MidwestJ 10-11-2006 07:12 PM

RE: squirrels tell me when deer are around.

They oughta outlaw them da*& squirrels.

In reality, whenever I hear squirrels barking I'm always on alert for what might be coming. I've actually thought about this and look for deer whenever I hear the squirrels but never see any whenever they sound off.

I've heard the same thing about crows though...that whenever you hear them sound off, be looking for deer.

CTJohnB 10-11-2006 07:15 PM

Well thast a new one I will deffinatly be calling and keepin my eye's peeled next time that happens

rtread 10-11-2006 07:23 PM

Yep, old Indian trick. Listen for the squirrels to start their barking and keep an eye peeled. Something is coming through the woods. May not be a deer, but something is definitely out there. Blue Jays will also give a clue.
Agreed. Also the crows will tell you.

A.D.D. BOY 10-11-2006 07:28 PM

I disagree on cows, I have had first hand experience lol. At my grandmaws, the field ligning there property they have cows, and i hunt in the ravine, with a field in front of me and behind me and those field's border woods. The deer do not come from the field infront of me from the woods, till the cows go behind me. I personally dont think they like each other. But that is just my experience.

HAZCON7 10-12-2006 06:31 AM

I disagree on cows, I have had first hand experience lol. At my grandmaws, the field ligning there property they have cows, and i hunt in the ravine, with a field in front of me and behind me and those field's border woods. The deer do not come from the field infront of me from the woods, till the cows go behind me. I personally dont think they like each other. But that is just my experience.
Last year, on a particular property that bordered fenced cow pasture, I noticed that EVERY time I heard the cows mooing I would see deer movement within 5 or 10 minutes. I don't know if they were on the same eating/sleeping schedule or the movement was making the cows nerveous or what. But I hunted this property for a week during the rut and I'm telling you it happened every single time!

You will also notice in rural communities that the dogs will start barking when they sense/see the deer movement.

I think this time of year the squirrels are 'barking' for territory, food,or breeding (I'm no squirrel expert.)
There is a distinctly different sound they make when alerting to deer. It is more of a 'bitching' than a barking - as if the squirrel is chewing the deer out and warning the deer to stay away from his acorns.

manuman 10-12-2006 06:41 AM

ORIGINAL: flyinfeathers

Yep, old Indian trick. Listen for the squirrels to start their barking and keep an eye peeled. Something is coming through the woods. May not be a deer, but something is definitely out there. Blue Jays will also give a clue.
Including us when we approach---the deer are warned as well, when the squirrels bark.

early in 10-12-2006 06:41 AM

Yes classified, your right on the money. I've noticed this many times. They are a great alert system but they can dime you out as well! I like to make my presence known to squirrels so I don't surprise them, it makes them less likely to freak out at you. Great thread.;)

Pops423 10-12-2006 06:50 AM

Guys, I'm a big believer in listening to the blue jays. In my neck of the woods, they are the tattletales. Almost every deer I see, I can hear the blue jays screaming before I see the deer. Happened first day here. I could hear them screaming in the apple orchard and within minutes a doe and a button buck walked out of there.

With the squirrels, I haven't so much noticed the bark, but more when they move quickly out of an area. I always look back to where they came from and a lot of time will see a deer or fo or something moving thru.

kenman 10-12-2006 06:56 AM

ORIGINAL: Pops423
Guys, I'm a big believer in listening to the blue jays.
Ditto, when the jays start screeching I go on high alert.

Downhill18 10-12-2006 07:52 AM

Those dang squirrels have busted me way more than they've ever helped me bust deer. I hate it when they stop nearby, make eye contact with you, and then start barking away like crazy!