Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 When do you guys start rattling? >

When do you guys start rattling?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

When do you guys start rattling?

Old 10-11-2006, 08:55 AM

Default When do you guys start rattling?

My dad has brought this up to me a couple times that he'd like to get out and use the rattle horns, see if he could get one called in for me to get a shot at.

When do you guys start normally? Is there some "sign" that tells you its worth a try? Do you wait until the rut starts to kick in to start using a "battle" sequence instead of a "sparring" type sequence?

Any other advice would be great!
Old 10-11-2006, 09:20 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: When do you guys start rattling?

I usually just pay attention to sign and moon phases. Cold weather is just beginning to move in and it was just a full moon last weekend. I watched a buck "beat his horns on the branches" Sunday. Monday I went spotlighting and saw two pairs of bucks fighting. Not sparring...but fighting. They were getting after it and didn't even pay attention to the light.

I will will definitely rattle this weekend after seeing that. Also pay attention to the posture of the bucks in the area towards other bucks,while hunting.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:36 AM

NOW!!! for me!
Old 10-11-2006, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

You can startdoing a little light rattling now in the early part of the season , once you have seen rubs on the trees thats a pretty good sign to start rattling.
If you use real sheds or a rattle bag just lightly click them together or move the bag in a back and forth motion and try to mimick two bucks sparring.
When the rut kicks in you'll want to get a little more intense and sound like a knock down all out brawl and don't forget to throw in a couple of gunts and snorts to make it sound more real .
Old 10-11-2006, 01:57 PM

Stealth is spot lighting legal there? I'm just wondering because here in MO, you cant even take your car and spot light deer from the road, let alone with a spot light.
Old 10-11-2006, 03:52 PM
Banned

Legal here as long as no weapon with you from what I have heard. I don't have time for it but I have heard of guys that I know that go in a State Park here in IA and they spotlight just to look at huge bucks that live there. HCH
Old 10-11-2006, 03:56 PM
Nontypical Buck

I think I will be starting within the next 2 weeks
Old 10-11-2006, 04:04 PM
Typical Buck

I've been watching this field a little lately because I've seen some deer in it from the highway!! Unfortunately it's one I can't hunt! Monday night I see 2 nice 8pts slowly feeding towards each other! When they get close they start sparring! Not more than 2 minutes later, here comes a NICE 10pt trotting out, at one point all 3 were in a sparring triangle! I will have my camera and camouflagenext time I hit that field, at least I can get some nice pictures!! I did have myglasses so I got a good show from about 200yds!! Anyway, I'm sure by the way the 10 came in it was because of the others sparring!!!
Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Fork Horn

Grunted and rattled up a young buck last night which I promptly was able to bag. I feel confident one of the sounds coaxed him in as he didn't appear to be interested in coming my way at all when I first saw him.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:22 PM
Site Buck Guru

I would try now. I've heard that it's aready working.

Quick Reply: When do you guys start rattling?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.