HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   How do you apply your cover scents? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/159130-how-do-you-apply-your-cover-scents.html)

MO Archer 10-11-2006 06:28 AM

How do you apply your cover scents?

How do you apply your cover scents? Do you wipe/spray it on your boots? Do you drag a 'wick'? Do you use something like scent bombs? Do you do something else?

r33h 10-11-2006 07:33 AM

RE: How do you apply your cover scents?

I spray my scent all over me and spray it on very thick. I also keep my hunting clothing in trash bags with scent sprayed on them as well. This keeps the odors from getting to them.

I have a friend that takes a small cedar limb from a cedar tree and throws it in a trash bag and beats the bag with a baseball bat and gets that smell all over his clothes. Works very well.

Hiawatha 10-11-2006 07:39 AM

I keep all my camo out in the barn in the alfalfa square bale stack. I smell like a big pile of green yummy stuff lol. I use earth scent killer quite a bit also for my boots face and a bit on my clothes again also. When i was using red fox in the past for cover i would dab a bit on the top of each boot then rub my feet together.

OhioHunter222 10-11-2006 08:40 AM

before the hunt me and my dad go on the front porch of our cabin and spray each other's camo and boot (including bottom) with scent killer. then we spray our hats and gloves. btw i never seen a deer in my stand until i was wearing No Scent clothing and the deer rubbed my ladder stand as he went by and never winded me.

kevin1 10-11-2006 09:35 AM

Spray or disc .

superstrutter 10-11-2006 09:39 AM

I spray the cover scent on my clothing, hat, and boots. I then rub weeds and pine all over my clothes. I even bring some weeds up in the stand with me and periodically rub them on my clothing. I rarely have a deer bust me because of scent, that I know of.

Campo 10-11-2006 10:10 AM

ORIGINAL: superstrutter

I spray the cover scent on my clothing, hat, and boots. I then rub weeds and pine all over my clothes. I even bring some weeds up in the stand with me and periodically rub them on my clothing. I rarely have a deer bust me because of scent, that I know of.
What was that you said, you rub weed all over yourself?;)
Haha jk
Generally, I use a dirt discor a pile of dirt in the plastic contactor bag that houses my hunting duds.
One thing I have thought of....If you hunt in an area with alot of cow/cattle farms, would a manure cover-up work? Now, I am not talking about going swimming in a manure pond, but doesnt it seem that it would make a great cover scent?
Hmmmmm:eek:

Rob/PA Bowyer 10-11-2006 10:16 AM

I don't use a cover scent but I do use scent eliminating sprays, Scent Killer to be more specific. I spray down during layering and after dressed as well as a touch up once in the stand.

Buck Huntin Girl 10-11-2006 10:25 AM

I don't. I bought some scent neutralizer last year and used it a couple of times... realized I didn't have any different hunting experience as before (seeing tons of deer every time out) and figured I was wasting my money. Unless I get muddy or sweaty, I try not to wash my clothes, but as I said on another thread, even then, I use normal detergent and do nothing different than any of my other laundry. There has been debate after debate on this, but I say most of it is a bunch of hoopla... I kill deer without it, so why am I gonna worry about scent elimination?

Like I also said on a different thread, my husband used to go to the local apple orchard and pick up fallen apples for free with permission and throw them in a cooler with his clothes for the next day's hunt. Totally natural scent cover and didn't cost any money either. He agrees though, it didn't make a difference in his hunt, and he's taken a couple of really nice bucks that are hanging on our wall.

To each their own, and I am sure depending on how populated (with humans) the area is you are hunting, it could make a difference. If you are hunting timbuktu where there are never "people" scents, cover up may be more effective or necessary compared to a place like I hunt where the deer walk through people's back yards all of the time.

PA Hardwoods 10-11-2006 10:27 AM

I do almost the same as Rob. I spray down all of my layers with Scent-away paying special attention to areas that will sweat alot. I also spray down again after I get on stand. One thing different that I do is I use a white oak scent wafer attached to my hat or fletching cover. I don't use anything like fox pee or anything like that. I think it is extremely important to reduce your scent to the lowest possible level you can. You will never be rid of it all together, but if you can controll your scent then that is just one more factor in your favor.