Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 20 feet closer to God >

20 feet closer to God

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

20 feet closer to God

Old 10-11-2006, 04:16 PM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: 20 feet closer to God

Great post my friend...God bless, In 78 my mom who is a praying women said God told her I would get my first buck today. I laughed. I was in 1st place in my battalion in the army in shooting and have no idea how I missed an old buck I saw.that morning. Actually I had just come home on leave and had spent 1 1/2 hours scouting a new area .Brand new property.

I said...gosh Mom I blew it. She said ,"No son God is goingto give you a nice tasty young buck." "We don't want an old chewy buck." I went back at 1:00 PM .It was a windy day and I had just got done reading 30 chapters of Jeremiah when I spotted a 3 point buck LOOKING right at me. He tore off to my left bounding through the brush. I pointed my rifle at an opening.When he crossed I squeezed the trigger. The young buck fell.I had shot right through his back bone. My praying mom was right..
Old 10-11-2006, 05:20 PM
Typical Buck

This is a great post. I have always loved the outdoors. My dad started taking me hunting and fishing when I was just a little guy, and I have been hooked ever since. I always loved being out in a stand, when the sun started to come up, seeing and hearing the woods come alive and just taking the beauty in. But it became even more special to me after Oct. 16th 1988 when I received Christ as my Lord and Savior . The greatest day of my life. The Lord and I have spent so my wonderful times together while I was up a tree. To be there talking to your Savior while seeing his creation at it most beautiful, well, who could ask for more.
On Nov. 12th of 1991, I was able blessed with one of themost incredible experiences of my life. I had a good friend who I did alot of hunting and fishing with, and just hanging out in general. I had been a Christian for a few years by then. I had spent about a year witnessing to him, and he was really starting to ask alot more questions at that point. One week we went to see Gene Wensel at the Classic Whitetails seminar that he used to do. Then that weekend , we went to a Whitecross concert ( it was a Christian rock band that we listened to alot). The other guys and I who went to the concert together thought for sure that Jim would pray to receive Christ that night when the singer gave talked and gave the invitation to pray the prayer of salvation. The singers name was Scott Wenzel, and he always really gave a cool talk and invitation. Well, when he did, we were supposed to have our eyes closed, but we were all watching Jim to see if he raised his hand to signify that he prayed the prayer. Man, we were all so bummed when he didn't.
Now , the following tuesday Jim and I went out bowhunting together. We were walking back to the stands, and his was on past mine and across a creek and field. When we started to part, he said, Hey why don't you throw up a prayer real quick. It really suprised me. So I started praying about a safe hunt etc, and Jim so "No, say the one that Wenzel did". Well,since we were out hunting, I was thinking of the seminar by Gene Wensel. I said " Man, I don't remember Gene Wensel praying that night". Jim said" No you dummy, I mean the one that Scott Wenzel did about asking Christ to be my Savior". Man, you talk about being thrilled. Right there, in the middle of that lane between 2 bean fields, in camo from head to toe, my buddy became a believer. When we were done praying and giving each other a bigman hug, he pulled up his facemask and looked up. He said " I thought I better do that so God recognizes who just prayed"
I am happy to say that we are still best of friends, still at the same church and sunday school class together, andhe and his wife are one of 4 couples of us who do evrything together.
Every time we drive by that spot we still bring it up.
Sorry to be so long winded, but I always get excited telling that story, about how we as 2 hardcore bowhunters were able to experience that together.
Thank you Jesus for dying for a guy who definitely doesn't deserve your mercy and your grace!
Old 10-11-2006, 06:14 PM

This is an awesome post. I love going out to the stand or blind or even a hike in the woods and just talking to the Lord. It's so wonderful knowing that He hears our every prayer and He is always there for us. Post's like this make me think again about the blessings He has given us. Praise the Lord for His grace.
Old 10-11-2006, 07:06 PM
Typical Buck

Great stories guys
Old 10-11-2006, 07:42 PM
Fork Horn

Great thread! I also say a prayer before every hunt, usually on the drive to the property I hunt. I ask for safety in and out of the woods and the ability to make a clean kill if given the opprotunity.I also thank Him formy health and the financial ability to pursue this sport.

Two particular times I feel the closest to God are on those morning hunts when I get to my stand, its still dark and its so calm and quiet you could here a pin drop. The second is when I'm standing over a deer I harvested. I know God has just allowed me to take one of His many amazing creations, and I know I couldn't have done it alone.

I give God all credit for any success I have in life and thank Him for His son Jesus.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:03 PM

Just wanted to say thanks for the great posts, and profess my love forour Lord Jesus Christ. God has truly blessed us with HIS grace.
Thank you LORD!!!

Old 10-11-2006, 08:37 PM

This thread is one of the greatest blessings I have seen on this site. I truely love the fellowship I have found reading each and every thread. But, I feel that I am led by the Lord to say one thing tomynew" brothers"here at the site.

Church is not a building. Church is a fellowship of belivers. Can you be a beliver and not go to Church, yes, but the Lord says we should gather together, in His name. The Lord also says that where two or more are gathered together in My name, I am there. And finally, a the Lord says a three strand cord is not easily broken.

Now what I feel the Lord is wanting me to say here is this: I have interacted with many of you guys on this site since I joined. I have been and am still very happy to have" met "everyone. I have been helped more than you can imagine in my equipment and hunting, and I have made some " friends ".But Church can be the same as this site. Many people think they are supposed to go to church to" get something " out of it. But I can tell you this, I have met some people here who have a lot to give. Through these posts, you can" feel "the goodnessof the person who wrote it. You can read their posts and know they have a lot to give, not just about the Bible, maybe not even the Bible at all,but about life, morals, being a friend, helping others...etc.... I encourage everyone here to spend some time at the Church of your choice. I know I love the fellowship I have with the members of my Church, and instead of going because YOU are supposed to GET something while you're there, stop and pray and listen for the peaceful small voice of the Lord and see what you have to give. I promise to you, that there is someone there who needs your help or guideance or love. You guys I have interacted with are some really great people, and the world could sure use a lot more of you sharing your knowledge, love and goodness with others. YOU can help make this world a better place. And you might meet some really good hunting buddies there, or you might meetsomeone you can introduce to hunting and it helps them get off drugs, alcohol, or some other bad things.

I just don't like seeing some really good people ( those here on this site ) not using their goodness to bless others. Church is not always what you can get, but often times what you can give.

And, I will say again, this is not a critical post directed at anyone. I was reading the posts and felt led to ask some really good people to consider sharing their goodness with others who might need him or her. I have felt your kindness, and I know that some people on here have truely blessed me, and I am not talking about the Archery questions I have asked, either.

I pray that this post does not offend. It was written with a pure heart, and with good intentions. I promise that It was laid on my heart as a burden that I was supposed to get rid of. And I knew exactly where I was supposed to get rid of it......Right here.

God Bless you all. God bless your families, friends, neighbors and co-workers. I pray that everyone of you have very happy and successful hunts and that you all go out and return home safely. And I pray that you will accept what I have written here, and use what you have inside you to help and lead others. For I tell you this, I can hardly think of anyone more respectable and kind and good, than a Christian Hunter. They are some of God's best work.

Thank You and God bless you all.

MichaelT.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:39 PM
Typical Buck

I never really thought of it that way. Thanks for making me see this. You can bet I'll be prayin from now on as well.
Old 10-11-2006, 08:51 PM

It's so dark and quiet in the woods and then I start to hear the birds and squirrels begin to stir. The dark is leaving and the light is coming into the woods. I thank God for this day he has given me and for the blessings I have in my life. I ask for forgiveness and guidance. I am thankful.
Old 10-11-2006, 09:27 PM
Typical Buck

To see this post and read it and see the pics of bucks people have taken and they love the lord as well as I do brings tears to my eyes. Great post brother!

Quick Reply: 20 feet closer to God

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.