Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Jerky Recipe's

Old 10-09-2006, 05:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Jerky Recipe's

Well I made my first batch of jerky today and to my surprise it wasn't very good. I used the Eastman outdoors original recipe that I picked up at wal-mart. Wasn't spicy enough for me. I was wondering what some of you guys used. I am also curious about homemade recipes. Let me know if anyone has a good one. Every store bought recipe I have tried I have not been too impressed with.It seems as if everytime I try someone elsesjerky that I like they tell me it was their own recipe. So if you would everyone post the recipe for their favorite jerky.
Old 10-09-2006, 05:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Jerky Recipe's

Sorry, but I prefer the Eastmans boxed stuff. I have tried every homebrew there is and I always come back to the Eastman's. I always use the spiciest version though. They tell you how much to add for spicy jerky. The home recipe stuff seems to add too much moisture to the meat and it does not dry well. Maybe you could sprinkle some cayenne pepper in with the Eastman's to give it some extra kick.
Old 10-09-2006, 06:00 PM
Spike

Here's what I've been using

1/3 worchester sauce
1/3 soy sauce
1/3 water to dilute
touch of liquid smoke
roll in crushed black pepper

you wouldn't need the liquid smoke if you have a smoker. I only have a dehydrator.

My next batch I'm going to try putting Buffalo Wild Wing's Carribean Jerk sauce on.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:02 PM

I marinate the meat in soy sauce (for the flavor and salt) for only about an hour. Then while still wet from the soy sauce, sprikle both sides with garlic powder and lemon pepper liberaly. Three simple ingredients that I occassionaly add brown sugar to the soy sauce to give a little sweetness. Very basic, but everyone that has tried it liked it very much.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:18 PM
Giant Nontypical

i used eastmans too i think. i bought the jerky gun and everything. followed the directions and put it in the oven how they said would work. one batch was PLAIN and slightly salty..though i used the terryaki mix. then i did another batch and soaked it in soy sauce..STILL salty..nasty salty. i quit wasting meat after that. i dont like salt..ill definently be watching this page..they tasted OK dipped in ketchup though
Old 10-09-2006, 08:07 PM
Nontypical Buck

I use American Harvest Original Recipe from Wal-Mart. Then I add cayane pepper to it. You can add as much as you desire or stand. Best flavor I have found.
Old 10-12-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

In addition to recipes, are you guys cooking your jerky in the oven or do you use a dehydrator? I want to make some jerky from the meat I got last weekend but I wasn't sure how to go about it. Was going to pickup a dehydrator from Sears today and give it a shot.
Old 10-12-2006, 08:02 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use a little Garlic Powder, Onion Powder, Cayenne Pepper, Black Pepper, Tender quick to cure overnight, and soy sauce. I usually smoke mine but if not I add a little liquid smoke. This is my favorite one. Otherwise I use the High Mounatin stuff in a box. They seem to be good. Some times I will also add a little honey for a sweet taste. I like playing with new stuff. It all turns out great most of the time.

One other thing I do is buy a snack stick kit from askthemeatman.com and add a ton of black pepper to it. Those pepper sticks are awesome.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:03 AM

Mine
1/3 cup Tabasco Soy sause
1/3 Worchester
1/2 Tsp. Oinion Powdwer
1/4 Tsp Garlic Powder
Black Pepper
1/2 Tsp Ground Habenero Peper
Dashes to taste Liquid Smoke

Repeit to cover to meat and allow to soak 24hrs. in the fridge.
Old 10-12-2006, 09:39 AM

ok, the eisiest way to make good consistant jerky and not much of a mess as well as easy as heck is go to the grocery store of wal mart and get alegro wild game marinade if ya want no spicy if ya like it spicy us the hot and spicy blend. marinade 5-6 hours and put on the dehydrator. usually takes mine about 6 hours. try it it is really easy and good!!!

Quick Reply: Jerky Recipe's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.