HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   I choked! (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/158824-i-choked.html)

txjourneyman 10-09-2006 05:53 AM

I choked!

Saturday AM we finally got some cool temps and I finally got an opportunity at a nice buck and I blew it. I was sitting on the ground in the spot where I killed my doe last year. It is a Oak grove with a finger of woods that extends into a pasture. I sit in the dark of the trees in the morning hoping for deer to be moving at the pasture edge feeding on acorns. At about 30 min. after sunrise I saw movement to my left. I froze while it came in. The I unfroze when I saw a nice 8 point walk into view. I started shaking like a hound dog passing peach pits!. "Calm down, calm down", I told myself. I tried to catch my breath and wait for an opportunity to draw. He crossed behind a Cedar about 10 yds in front of me and I made my move. Thats when I blew it. I left my index finger on my bow hand over my arrow. When I tried to draw the shaft stayed put and I pulled the string away from the nock. OH CRAP! Well I got my arrow renocked, still shaking and out of breath. The buck had cleared the Cedar and noticed the movement. He turned arourn and headed back into the trees. I tried to draw when he went behind an oak but I didn't move fast enough. He saw the movement and took off like a rocket. I was both thrilled and heartbroken. It was a fabulous and disappointing morning and a day I will never forget. I also learned a valuable lesson about where my finger is. And I don't need to hold my arrow on the shelf. I have an arrow holder for that. My heart is almost back to normal now on Monday morning. I'll go back to that spot in a couple of weeks and try again. I'll let ya'll know how it goes.

Heidicazz1 10-09-2006 06:20 AM

RE: I choked!

We all learn from our mistakes and lil mishapps ...does sound like a thrilling moment ...Best of luck You'll get a shot again :)

GMMAT 10-09-2006 06:42 AM

TX.....If I ever lose that feeling....I'll quit hunting.

Jeff;)

rtread 10-09-2006 06:48 AM

Just like a wide receiver does after getting burned for a TD.....shake it off, line back up, make a great play!

SIDEWAYS 10-09-2006 06:53 AM

You got the fever and Oh what a feeling it is.

nubo 10-09-2006 07:20 AM

I know all too well just how you feel TX ,last season I was hunting a particular 10 point buck and during the rut I called him in unexpectantly and as he crossed my shooting lane i did the exact same thing you did and missed my shot of a life time .I never seen this buck again last season and I'm not sure today that he's still around .The owner of the property say's he last seen this buck in the spring ,but hasn't seen him since . So hopefully he's still around .

nubo

TerryM 10-09-2006 07:24 AM

Buy a wisker bisquit and that scenario will never happen again.

txjourneyman 10-09-2006 10:47 AM

No, I don't like them and don't really need one. My arrow will stay on the holder with the bow turned 90 degrees. The fault is 100% mine. My equipment is definitly not to blame.

LA CROOKED STICK 10-09-2006 10:53 AM

Well that is part of bow hunting, we have all blowed our chances. I have sit back and laughed at myself several times. Good luck next time. Still a great thrill.

bowhuntt 10-09-2006 10:58 AM

two words... wisker bisquit... why shoot a rest that you have to hold the arrow for it? isnt that the rests job.... lol i love those close encounters they always get me going... good luck getting back on that buck