Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Scent Control and Concealment. >

Scent Control and Concealment.

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Scent Control and Concealment.

Old 10-08-2006, 11:33 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Scent Control and Concealment.

What is "acceptable" Rob??.........and how can you ever know if you have obtained that? Is it the same for EVERY deer in EVERY situation??
We'll never know what is "acceptable" but one thing we all do know if they get enough of a wiff, they blow and go. Acceptable level is the a level a deer can stand downwind and not turn tail and go. We'll only that level when we're in the situation. One thing is certain, if we do nothing, their will be no acceptable level. I can honestly say had I done nothing for my scent, she would have. I'm convinced of that from 25 years of previoius experiences.

I wouldn't be too thrilled if she nailed you from 52 yards away with your back to a tree between you two.........especially considering all the precautions you take.
Oh contrare, I am absolutley thrilled that my scent level was low enough that she didn't wind me prior to that. With her directly down wind, that's mightly close, had this been rifle season and the same circumstances, tag willing, dead deer. I know she hadn't spooked for other reasons, until I physically waved at her, she never once looked up towards me. You also assume the tree was between us, I never said that. The tree was on my left shoulder, she was directly behind me, not the tree.

Because you had a tree in between you and the deer. How do you know she "winded" you??...........Why would she be sniffing the air like crazy if she had already winded you?? Sounds like something else had her attention.
Again, you assumed wrong. The tree again, off my left shoulder, (Or right shoulder when I faced her) I was totally exposed, skyline to the deer with slight branches sticking out behind me, shooting lanes cut.

If I slightly turned my head right in the picture, she would be there. Not behind the tree. She was obviously sniffing the wind because she did smell me, she did not see me up to that point.

No way for you to know that.
25 years of bowhunting has taught me this, especially prior to any scent knowledge. I will especially say this prior to my Scentlok/Blocker purchases.

Considering you were on the other side of the tree and all she could see was your arms.......if anything because the sun was in her face and you were in the shadows by the looks of your picture.......it's hard to say how much movement she could see.
Again, your assumption, as you can see in the picture, my whole body was open to her minus a few leaves. Nothing of the trunk of the tree was hiding me. Sun would have been to her left, she was facing north towards me, no sun effect other than shadows within the tree limbs. But your right, with this camo it's hard to say how much movement she could see, that's what good camo is suppose to do for you.

Obviously there was something else going on here..........a mature doe that stands there while the noise and motion of a large man coming down a tree is going on 50 yards away can not be considered normal..........at least I hope not, because if it is then hunting will become a lot less fun. I like knowing I have to be careful with my movements......I like knowing I can't make a sound........I like knowing I have to be at my best to go undetected. If I can put on some suit and make all the noise and motion I want and still have deer walking around what is the challenge to that?? Just walk up and shoot 'em if that can't see you anymore.
Nothing else going on, simple, deer 50 yards away downwind, I got down. Mind you, the tree had branches but again, concealment is the key. I can't be certain obviously I can only wear one camo at a time but over the last 25 years I've worn prolly 15 brands of camo, at least 12 and it comes down to Predator, ASAT and Enigma so far until I have the opportunity to find something better. I'll take all the edge I can get, and I remember reading some of your equipment, you do too.

Agreed..........I don't think camo, clothes, or sprays are what makes that success though. You are set up over a food plot with deer all around you because they are coming to eat your food...........I think you may be attributing your success to things that are actually minor contributions.
True that, I'm 200 yards from the food plot, it's an additive, so is the 400 acres of corn around the spot, the bedding area, the travel routes not to mention this is a natural funnel area. Those 25 years have put me in one of the 3 trees I have around this area. We make our own success, some of making mine is scent elimination and concealment.

I bet you would do just fine right where you are in GI-Joe camo and a bottle of scent eliminator spray.
I doubt it, but don't want to find out when my buck of a life time is downwind and in eyeshot.

Paranoia...............without a doubt the absolute #1 driving force behind marketing deer hunting products. Preying on the lottery mentality of "What if"??

What do you say to someone who takes EVERY precaution that you take and has all the EXACT same stuff and doesn't see anymore deer or have anymore deer hang around downwind?? Does that prove your theories wrong??
When it comes to whitetails, especially mature animals, buck or doe I would suggest being paranoid. Anyone can kill button bucks and spikes and if that's all your after, ignore my entire thread. You don't need anything in here. Your quote above is an exception not the norm.

Just playing devil's advocate for ya Rob............Trying to show there can be 10 different explanations to every situation. I have thought that I had it nailed many times myself........and then I get busted the next day in the same situation. I have just seen so much variability and dynamic behavior from deer to ever take one isolated case at anything more then face value. Enigma may be the greatest camo ever..........only time will tell. One story about one deer on one day is really meaningless to me. I have had deer standing in spitting distance from me when I was wearing a full blaze orange pumpkin suit and they never saw me...........does that mean it is the ideal camo??........of course not.
I knew I could count on you.
This thread didn't come about from an isolated incident. It's been happening for quite a few years since I started wearing the open patterns. The scent control is actually the last 2 seasons since I purchased Scentlok and Scentblocker, work or not I've had more down wind stay since the purchase and I can't be certain but perhaps I'm a little more fantatical as well. Either way, success with deer down wind is increasing for me. If it were a single incident, I wouldn't have brought it up.

Thanks for the cool thread..........nice hunting area too I am gonna check out Enigma after the Bills game.
Thanks, I'm here to share as well as learn myself. And if the Bills winning or losing depending on your bet will get you into Enigma, go Bills or not. Rock on.

Old 10-08-2006, 04:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

[blockquote]quote:

Paranoia...............without a doubt the absolute #1 driving force behind marketing deer hunting products. Preying on the lottery mentality of "What if"??

What do you say to someone who takes EVERY precaution that you take and has all the EXACT same stuff and doesn't see anymore deer or have anymore deer hang around downwind?? Does that prove your theories wrong??[/blockquote]

When it comes to whitetails, especially mature animals, buck or doe I would suggest being paranoid. Anyone can kill button bucks and spikes and if that's all your after, ignore my entire thread. You don't need anything in here. Your quote above is an exception not the norm.

Oh Snap! Sit down. ewww weeee.

Old 10-08-2006, 08:38 PM
Fork Horn

I ALSO TAKE EVERY SCENT FREE PRECAUTION. I HAVE ALSO PULLED OUT MY OLD WOODLAND PATTERN (MILITARY) CAMO AND SEEM TO GET SPOTTED LESS THAN WITH THE MOSSY OAK OR REALTREE PATTERNS. WOODLAND IS MORE OPEN THAN TODAYS POPULAR CAMO PATTERNS AND WORKS JUST AS WELL IF NOT BETTER (IT'S ALOT CHEAPER TOO). WOODLAND ISDARKER THAN THE ENIGMA AND ASAT PATTERNS WHICH IS WHY I'M ANXIOUS TO TRY THEM. THEY ARE PROBABLY THE NEXT REVOLUTION IN CAMO SINCE TREBARK SPARKED THE FIRST ONE.
Old 10-08-2006, 08:59 PM

I never seen this "enigma"... im using andvatage, for the past 3 years now.. It works great this time of year, but when the leaves are all gone.I look like a huuuuuuge squerrels nest in the tree.. where couldI find this stuff.. info/pics, web site?I just looked threw my Bass Pro and Cabala's and musta passed it or its not there?
Old 10-08-2006, 09:02 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: amayerican

I never seen this "enigma"... im using andvatage, for the past 3 years now.. It works great this time of year, but when the leaves are all gone.I look like a huuuuuuge squerrels nest in the tree.. where couldI find this stuff.. info/pics, web site?I just looked threw my Bass Pro and Cabala's and musta passed it or its not there?
http://www.enigmacamo.com/ or do a search here on HNI, there has been a lot of test photos and success stories as well as reviews. Some got lost with the new change however there should be some like this one here.
http://www.huntingnet.com/forum/tm.aspx?m=1721183&mpage=1&key=Enigmaí¹’í¸˜
Old 10-08-2006, 09:11 PM

Yeah, the first link worked... Iv over looked this camo. and i could see why. it looks so simple. thx rob
Old 10-08-2006, 09:13 PM
Site Buck Guru

I have never alerted a deer to my presence while in my stand, and I never will. I don't want any deer to know where me or my stand are.What does, fawns and bucks 2 1/2 and younger will often do is try to verify 2 senses. Whereas mature bucks only get just a touch of 1 sense and they're gone. The next time this doe comes past your stand she may avoid it and circle around it. That would be bad if a big boy was trailing her.[:-]
Old 10-08-2006, 09:22 PM
Boone & Crockett

ORIGINAL: GregH

I have never alerted a deer to my presence while in my stand, and I never will. I don't want any deer to know where me or my stand are.What does, fawns and bucks 2 1/2 and younger will often do is try to verify 2 senses. Whereas mature bucks only get just a touch of 1 sense and they're gone. The next time this doe comes past your stand she may avoid it and circle around it. That would be bad if a big boy was trailing her.[:-]
Greg, I'm glad you brought that up and it's a very good point and I was in test mode regardless, I was in the same stand Saturday evening and I'm pretty sure it was the same doe, she came by at 20 yards, from the same area I left her in the am and never looked up, like I said, I never spooked her. One reason I say it's the same doe and I could be wrong they all look alike..lol but this doe had an unusual white patch behind her ears, brighter then most I remember. I still could be wrong but again, I never spooked her so she's not alert for the stand. I hope. I'll try to get a picture of her when I see her again. It really caught my attention. I once had a "piebald" there, well I use that term loosely because it was a normal colored deer except the tail, snow white, up or down....

And your absolutely correct about mature bucks and one sense and they are gone so why do people not do everything they can to fool all their senses rather than concentrating on one and not the others.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:27 PM

Good thread and it got me to thinking. I was out on opening day and had 3 mature does and two younger ones come to within 12 yards of my stand. They fed for about 10 mins. and then all of the sudden one of them raised her head up, sniffed the air and then shesnorted and stomped about 8 times and they never ran. I knew I was busted. I had taken all the scent control precautions I thought possible. But they never ran. She never saw me. I was wearing Mossy Oak new break up and only in a 12' stand. They stayed for about 5 more mins. Then they walked about 60 yards and turned around and came right back. This got me to thinking about camo, scents, movement and all. Yes I was busted by my scent, but not by my sight. So why did these deer never run? Every situation presents different possibilites. Had this been a 5 year old buck I would have probably never seen him. But we can only take all the precautions we deem necessary to have a successful hunt, which is different to everyone.
Old 10-09-2006, 07:53 AM

ORIGINAL: Rob/PA Bowyer

One thing is certain, if we do nothing, their will be no acceptable level.
In 25 years you never saw a deer when you weren't completely scent free? My dad started hunting 40+ years ago and the only time he has ever concealed his scent was when I sprayed him down the other day to help me hang a stand. He has killed more deer then I can count and seen 10 times more.

I can honestly say had I done nothing for my scent, she would have. I'm convinced of that from 25 years of previoius experiences.
Really??.......I know you are just guessing, but since she watched you climb down and the noise or sight didn't spook her I would say your lack of odor isn't what kept her there.

Oh contrare, I am absolutley thrilled that my scent level was low enough that she didn't wind me prior to that. With her directly down wind, that's mightly close, had this been rifle season and the same circumstances, tag willing, dead deer. I know she hadn't spooked for other reasons, until I physically waved at her, she never once looked up towards me.
Like Greg already said..........if a doe nailed you from 52 yards then those mature bucks you lust after will certainly do so much earlier then that.

You also assume the tree was between us, I never said that. The tree was on my left shoulder, she was directly behind me, not the tree.

You said she was behind you......and when you climbed down you had to "circle" the tree to her side. My assumptions are the result of your explanation

25 years of bowhunting has taught me this, especially prior to any scent knowledge. I will especially say this prior to my Scentlok/Blocker purchases.
I find it very interesting how people find what they are looking for. I am quite certain that in 25 years you have seen plenty of does closer to you then this one that didn't know you were there.........why is this one any more special or informative because now you wear a special suit?? Going by that logic anyone with a ssimilar story that was wearing nothing would prove you don't need any of this stuff then right??

Nothing else going on, simple, deer 50 yards away downwind, I got down.
You are 100% positive that nothing else could have possibly been going on??........no fawns she was keeping an eye on.....no foxes she could smell.....no other animals she was keeping an eye on........no other scents that possibly catching her nose.....food, animals, danger etc.

I'll take all the edge I can get, and I remember reading some of your equipment, you do too.

You would want a camo that makes you invisible and allows you to be lazy, loud and sloppy while hunting and still kill deer with ease?? Not me. I have my limits. If I put on a camo that allowed me to wave at deer as they walked by and they couldn't see me I would not only never wear it again I would petition my state officials to make it illegal. I want to kill a deer based on my skills as a hunter.........not store bought deception. You are right that I buy things to increase my chances of success........but if I don't do my part I am toast.........and that's the way I like it.

True that, I'm 200 yards from the food plot, it's an additive, so is the 400 acres of corn around the spot, the bedding area, the travel routes not to mention this is a natural funnel area. Those 25 years have put me in one of the 3 trees I have around this area. We make our own success, some of making mine is scent elimination and concealment.
My only issue is I believe you put too much emphasis on the wrong ingredients. I think you are probably one heck of a hunter in a darn fine piece of land.........I bet you are better then you think and don't need as many gadgets to help you do better. Give yourself more credit.

I doubt it, but don't want to find out when my buck of a life time is downwind and in eyeshot.
Paranoia

When it comes to whitetails, especially mature animals, buck or doe I would suggest being paranoid.
Why?.......I think you should be confident in your skills instead of being paranoid. Do you have a ton of experience with being defeated by mature bucks face to face?? If not your paranoia is unfounded.

Anyone can kill button bucks and spikes and if that's all your after, ignore my entire thread. You don't need anything in here.
Pretty crappy statement coming from you Rob.........quite frankly I am VERY surprised to see it. I'll wait and give you a chance to clarify before I comment on it because I don't think it means what it reads like.......at least I hope not.

Thanks, I'm here to share as well as learn myself. And if the Bills winning or losing depending on your bet will get you into Enigma, go Bills or not. Rock on.
I don't gamble and the Bills sucked big time........at least the Sabres season started Losman is just never gonna be as good as they need a QB to be.

Steelers look good

Quick Reply: Scent Control and Concealment.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.