Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Just shot my first deer with a bow(pic updated) >

Just shot my first deer with a bow(pic updated)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Just shot my first deer with a bow(pic updated)

Old 10-07-2006, 08:21 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default Just shot my first deer with a bow(pic updated)

Well guys i got up this morning and was a little discouraged because of the full moon and all.Well i got up there early (behind my house) and not long after daylight here comes a buttonbuck.He offers no shot and beds down 5 yards away.He layed there for about 2 hours with the wrong angle for a shot. (remeber guys this is my first one with a bow) well all this time i was sitting in the same position so i was about to die if i didnt stretch my legs out and i did and he saw me.So he got up trotted off a little and i drawed. It was a twenty yard shot but where he had stopped I had to lean a little.I shot and it hit a little farther back than desired.I was a little upset because of the shot even though it wasnt that bad of a hit (maybe liver). I waited about 20 mins and went down and looked and my arrow and there wasnt much blood on it at all and what was was really light in color.As far as the yardage, it hit right in the middle of the body and about in the middle left to right.I am gonna give him about 4 hours and see if i can pursue him. It was a clean pass thru.Ill add pics when I find him.I am on cloud nine right now!! This is my first with a bow, and i know some of you wont agree with taking one that small but think back to when you were after your first one with a bow, were you guys gonna shoot just about anything. Ill update with pics hopefully later

update 1:18pm

i decided to go back out and try to find my deer two hours after the shot, because after replaying the shot i decided it was a good shot.I went out where i had marked the shot was.I looked around...no blood uh oh i had a good idea of which way it went and after about 10 yards i started finding blood, good blood, bright red blood. The deer ended up running about 30 yards after being shot.It turns out I didnt hit the deer where i had thought. It actually was a perfect shot it took out both lungs,part of the liver and the stomach.Then upon exit it went through the deers back leg. The muzzy and my browning did a great job, through the deer,leg bone and 4 inches into the ground.anyways heres a pic, ohh and before anything is said i wasnt hunting over that mineral block, that is for picture purposes only, I had drug the deer a good 300+ yards before we decided to take a pic

Old 10-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Just shot my first deer with a bow

Congratulations! You have joined the ranks of the successful bowhunters.
Old 10-07-2006, 08:25 AM
Typical Buck

yep, just give him time. When you pick up the trail and you think your pushing him, back off and give him more time. Nothing wrong with a bb in my book...he'll be good eatin. Congrats and good luck...can't wait to see pics
Old 10-07-2006, 08:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

All right congrats
Old 10-07-2006, 08:55 AM
Fork Horn

Congrats it only takes one... now you will hooked forlife
Old 10-07-2006, 08:58 AM
Nontypical Buck

good luck finding him, and congrats on your first deer, savor it, it is an awesome feeling By the way, good job knowing to back off and not being to ansey to go looking for him right away, you did the right thing by showing some restraint.

Shane
Old 10-07-2006, 09:29 AM

ORIGINAL: Cougars09

Well guys i got up this morning and was a little discouraged because of the full moon and all.Well i got up there early (behind my house) and not long after daylight here comes a buttonbuck.He offers no shot and beds down 5 yards away.He layed there for about 2 hours with the wrong angle for a shot. (remeber guys this is my first one with a bow) well all this time i was sitting in the same position so i was about to die if i didnt stretch my legs out and i did and he saw me.So he got up trotted off a little and i drawed. It was a twenty yard shot but where he had stopped I had to lean a little.I shot and it hit a little farther back than desired.I was a little upset because of the shot even though it wasnt that bad of a hit (maybe liver). I waited about 20 mins and went down and looked and my arrow and there wasnt much blood on it at all and what was was really light in color.As far as the yardage, it hit right in the middle of the body and about in the middle left to right.I am gonna give him about 4 hours and see if i can pursue him. It was a clean pass thru.Ill add pics when I find him.I am on cloud nine right now!! This is my first with a bow, and i know some of you wont agree with taking one that small but think back to when you were after your first one with a bow, were you guys gonna shoot just about anything. Ill update with pics hopefully later

It makes me sick to my stomach to see a hunter feel like he has to apologize for what he shot.

Cougars..........shoot whatever you want and stop worrying about what anyone else thinks. I have been hunting for 19 years and shot 2 button bucks and a spike last year.........why?? Because I wanted to.......and if anyone doesn't like it I couldn't care less.

Hunt for yourself and if some idiot chirps at you for shooting something he wouldn't just laugh at him because that's all you can do with stupid people.

Now go find your deer and take some good pictures and BE PROUD of what you shoot..........or don't shoot it. NEVER apologize for your choices as a hunter as long as they are legal and safe.

Good luck buddy.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:36 AM
Nontypical Buck

Way to go cougar a button buck is great for a first deer. You need to get a few kills under your belt before you start getting picky. Besides your not on my team so shoot all the little ones you want. JUST KIDDING!! Congrats on your first BOWKILL, you will find him.
Old 10-07-2006, 10:39 AM
Dominant Buck

Hope ya find him....I'm still waiting on my first full draw.
C7
Congrats
Old 10-07-2006, 10:50 AM

congrats Courgars!!!!!! i know the feeling about shooting your first. i actually just got my first last sunday! it was also a button buck. way to go!

Quick Reply: Just shot my first deer with a bow(pic updated)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.