Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got a good one!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:15 AM
Fork Horn

Default Got a good one!

Howdy all!

As are some of you, I was lucky enough to be chosen to be a Mad Dog Gear Field Staff member a couple months ago. Our archery season just opened this past Saturday and, as is my tradition, I went back to where I grew up to hunt with family and friends. It was also the first time I wore my MDG outfit hunting. Here's my story!

I went back to Youngsville to where I grew up to hunt with my dad and brother and brought my buddie Ernie down (he's the one with the doe). We hunted until about 10:30 and then headed for the house for breakfast and a nap. I saw 3 does but they were all small. Ernie had seen 6 does but they stayed out of range up under some apple trees and didn't use the trails he was set up on. So, before we left went home for lunch (he was about 2 miles down the road from me and only about 50 yards off of the road) we moved his stand so he had about a 15 yard shot to the apple trees. The apple trees are located just off of a small field that adjoins a larger field on the opposite side from the apples. It POURED during the day and we waited until 4 to head back out. At 5:35 my cell phone starts buzzing in my pocket and I ease it out to see it's a call from Ernie. He's hunted with a bow for 20 years but hasn't killed a deer with it for 9 because of numerous issues, mostly a bow that allowed him to overdraw when he was excited and he'd consistently shoot over deer even though he was spot on in practice. I know that if he's calling me he either shot a deer or fell out of his stand. I flip open the phone and he's practically yelling that he just smoked a doe at 20 yards and watched her pile up! I tell him I'm on my way to take pictures even though he insists I don't ruin my hunt. I drive over and after we take some pictures I ask if he's going to keep hunting and he tells me "Hell no! I'm going to dress her out and go have a celebratory beer!" I ask if I can hunt his stand (figuring I can bust another doe) and he says sure. It was cool enough out that we just left his doe lie to dress out later.

Ernie leaves and I climb up in his stand. I can still hear him driving down the road when I see a doe and fawn coming out into the small field to my south. They are all skittish, which I still can't figure out because the wind was in my face while looking at them. They eventually trot off because of something they didn't like. 30 minutes later I see a big deer had snuck into the field when I wasn't looking and when it lifts it's head I see a respectable (shooter) rack. Then another deer steps out and it's a buck but just a scrapper. So, of course, I'd forgotten my grunt call in Erie so the deer start working towards the bigger field. I figure I have nothing to lose so I start grunting and bleating with my voice loud enough to get their attention. They keep lifting their heads and looking my way but walking away from me. They're now about 100 yards away and almost to the big field. I give one last series of loud grunts and bleats and to my utter astonishment he turns 180 degrees and heads right for me! I thought "HOLY SMOKES, HERE HE COMES!" and pick up my bow. He gets to the woodline about 30 yards out and stops, checking things out. I'm shaking like crazy at this point. He decides he's coming in right there and busts through the brush and walks steadily into about 20 yards but is quartering hard to me. His head goes behind a tree and I draw my bow. The other buck is at the woodline and a 3rd buck (smaller then mine but bigger then the other) is now headed this way. All I need is for him to go broadside. He's looking around for the source of all the grunts and bleats and I'm a little nervous, as he's now downwind of where Ernie had shot his doe, so I'm afraid he's going to spook if he smells blood. Finally, he takes 2 steps going nearly broadside and, at this range, it's close enough for me. He stops, I settle the pin tight to his shoulder and release. THUMP! He kinda bucks, takes 2 jumps towards the woods and stops to look at me. I hold totally still and watch him. After a few seconds, his back end starts to sway and he goes on a death charge right towards Ernie's doe! Just as he passes her white belly, I see his legs buckle and down he goes!

I immediately called my wife and then Ernie who promptly flies back up the hill (we're only about 2 miles from my house) and comes running in the woods. I was still stuck in the tree with bouncing knees and weak legs! When we find my arrow it's less then 10 yards from where Ernie's arrow was and when we get to the deer they're only about a car length apart!

We had quite the party that night!

145 lbs. 16" 9 point. Not huge but for my area and with my experience, he's not a buck I'm gonna pass up, even on the first day!

Not the best pictures from the night of the kill but I had nothing to clean him off with and VERY little light as well. It was a rushed photo session so I'm just happy to have what I got!

--------------------
A bad day in the wild is still better than a good day at work.

Old 10-06-2006, 11:17 AM
Dominant Buck

Default RE: Got a good one!

Congrates.
Old 10-06-2006, 11:19 AM
Nontypical Buck

Great story and nice buck!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:20 AM

That's a great deer, it would be a mounter for me... especially with a bow.

Good job on a fine deer, and congrats to Ernie too!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:22 AM
Fork Horn

That's a great story and a beautiful buck. Okay now, is Ernie a bit green with envy? Now look at those apples!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:25 AM
Typical Buck

Great story. That was definitely a great stand site that night!! And to call them in with voice grunts and bleats??? That's amazing!

Good Job!

Congrats, nice deer.
Typical Buck

That's a great night right there, congrats to you and Ernie on the double smoke-check!!
Old 10-06-2006, 11:27 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks!

Is Ernie jealous? I'm sure he is, it would've been his biggest buck. It's not mine, (I have a P & Y 8 point I shot a few years ago). The thing about Ernie is he's a great friend and a class act, he was just as excited as I was.

Here's what it's all about!

Old 10-06-2006, 11:40 AM
Fork Horn

Wow..great story and very good pics.

Quick Reply: Got a good one!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.