HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Close but no cigar (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/158355-close-but-no-cigar.html)

Matt/TN 10-05-2006 05:57 PM

Close but no cigar

well i get home this afternoon around 7 and look up in my field and see about 3 or 4 deer.Im like well there are headed towards where our land connects with the field and i was okay im up for a stalk. I know ive only got 30 or so minutes before it gets too dark. I slowly start creeping down the field edge hitting a bleat and a young buck grunt every few steps and then i get to a good stopping point.The deer arent really moving fast enough to get to me in time so i was like what the heck why not be a little more aggressive.I new of the 4 deer 1 was a little buck, i start aggressively grunting and out of no where this BIG buck comes out of no where and starts sparring with the little buck and three does came out after the big buck. The does scatter everywhere after they start sparring and i was like okay big guy, i switch my grunt call to mature buck.He stops at an instant and start heading my way nose to the ground, all the deer follow, it reminded me of like school yard gangs where when the leader goes the rest follow.He jumps the fence and my heart was getting going and i draw. The closer he gets the bigger his rack keeps getting he got to about 30 yards and just trotted right by me,(i know some of you might not agree with this next part but keep in mind that i have never shot a deer with a bow or a buck period) Once i realized he wasnt going to stop i let her fly, 30 yard shot and i cleanly missed, that buck dropped down so low i think his stomach hit the ground, the he trotted right back into the field he came from.I went and got my arrow and it was a clean miss.Heres a picture of him and he didnt lose any mass hardly from the velvet. I am sooo excited for saturday, i hope this big guy hangs around, sorry for the long post but you guys enjoy a story once in a while ;)

Matt/TN 10-05-2006 06:07 PM

RE: Close but no cigar

i was looking through my trail cam pics and heres the guy he was sparring with, needless to say not an even match

MOTOWNHONKEY 10-05-2006 06:22 PM

You about had him my man. Keep trying. When you were at full draw you should have made a mouth grunt and he would have stoped. Better luck next time.

Matt/TN 10-05-2006 06:25 PM

its like golf, if you can put every piece of the puzzle together you cuold have a great day, speaking of which i just got home from the golf course when i spotted the deer.

Washington Hunter 10-05-2006 06:26 PM

Golf - The sport for people who can't hunt.

:D;)

Matt/TN 10-05-2006 06:32 PM

shoot, golf is my off season sport, i actually play golf for my high school.speaking of whichi had a career day today, my lowest round ever 69...lol

Washington Hunter 10-05-2006 06:36 PM

I'm just givin' you a hard time.

I play with my boss once in a while, although it usually takes us twice as long to get through than everyone else. Man do I stink at it! ;)

Matt/TN 10-05-2006 06:39 PM

o i know, golf and hunting, you really cant complain

All i do is golf, hunt, and go to school.Although this lifestyle will be comming to a screaching halt when may rolls around and i turn 16.I plan on getting a job so i can get some new equipment and so on

Matt/TN 10-06-2006 01:08 PM

well guys, im going out in the morning, I am so excited after this encounter.Ill let you guys know what happens.Maybe i can put some some points on the board for team 24.Id take either one of these bucks