Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

yes or no?

Old 09-28-2006, 06:32 PM

Default yes or no?

this will be my first year bowhunting. i will be hunting behind my house. up until a couple of days ago i was just seeing 2 does and their fawns. the other day i saw 2 small bucks. a 4 pt and a spike. i was wondering if this would be your first deer with a bow, would you take one of those bucks? and for the people that say let them grow and gettem next year...im a senior in high school right now and i dont think i will be able to come back next year and hunt...thanks for your opinions
Old 09-28-2006, 06:34 PM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: yes or no?

For your 1st deer shoot the first thing that walks by. Then you can have a whole lifetime to get picky.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:39 PM
Giant Nontypical

That is one only you can answer. I killed a doe last year for my first bow deer. After that I passed a forkhorn several times hoping for something bigger. I never did get a buck. I'll try again this year. I don't regret letting him walk most of the time. If I had to do it again I might shoot, who knows. You think about what you want. If that forkie had been before the doe I shot, no doubt I would have killed him. So timing had a lot to do with it. If I see a small buck this year before I kill a doe, I will kill the small buck in all likelyhood since I don't yet have a bow buck.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 PM
Nontypical Buck

I'm one of those who likes to "let 'em grow".
However, I was once your age and as a new bowhunter I felt the need to stick the first legal buck I saw, and I did just that. As a matter of fact, I did it on the first day I ever bowhunted. The only regret I had then was the fact that my buck hunting was over for the year and it was only the first of October. I have no regrets now as that memory will last me the rest of my life and will probably be the most memorable kill I ever will make. Go get 'em son, you will decide when the time is right to "let 'em grow". You have some growin' of your own to do first. Have fun!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:43 PM
Giant Nontypical

The way I look at it is you can shoot any deer you like ,if your wanting to take your first with a bow or fill your freezer, then go for it ,but if your looking for a trophy ,then wait for a trophy . I'm taking that most of the guy';s that tell you to wait are trophy hunter's .There are 2 class of bowhunter's ,meat hunter's and Trophy hunter's . Eventually you'll find which class you you want to belong in .Myself I've passed on so many deer it's crazy ,because I'm wanting a trophy ,it's not about meat for me ,of course I'll keep the meat ,but ussually in the November hunt I know I'm going to fill the freezer .,so there's no rush for me to fill my tag ,this is why I hold out for my big buck .
Don't feel that you shouldn't take a small buck because of what you read on this forum ,you take what suit's you. You'll have all kind's of time to go after a trophy ,so go get your first.
Good luck

nubo
Old 09-28-2006, 06:44 PM
Fork Horn

Well, I think that's a matter of personal decision. But in my opinion I would let them go to grow, but if it's nearing the end of hunting season and they are all you see then make the decision. I'm assuming your off to college after your senior year. Unless your family is leaving with you, you'll always be able to come back. Maybe not when your off to school, but after college, if the family is still their, so are your opportunities. Their must be a bigger buck out their.Otherwise you wouldn't have seen these smaller bucks. And who knows maybe these smaller bucks are carrying the genes of a nice mature P&Y buck, and can populate the area with more bucks. But in the end it's a personal decision that you must face, but I would wait until the season is almost over before I took a spike just for the sake of getting a deer. This is my 4th year bow hunting and have yet to take a deer. Came close last year, but didn't get the shot due to forgetting to knock an arrow. Be patient, you may see a bigger buck and take that, but if you take the smallerbuck now and see the bigger buck later you'll probably only get to watch him go by due to your tag being filled early.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:45 PM
Nontypical Buck

Get some kills(or is that harvests) under your belt before you start picking and choosing. Shoot whatever walks by, it is the best way to gain experience as to how both you and the deer react at the moment of truth. You may think you have all bases covered but you can learn something from every shot taken at game. Let us know about those emotions when you are getting ready to draw your bow, assuming you are able to. I have known some new hunters who couldn't get their bows drawn the 1st time a deer came in.
Old 09-28-2006, 06:46 PM

I can answer only by saying this. I have never killed a buck w/ my bow, and I feel sorry for the first legal buck that passes within 35 yards of me this fall..
Old 09-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Nontypical Buck

That is a great question. I have been thinking about the same thing for the last few weeks. I have never been hunting and can't wait to finally get out. After purchasing my first bow last year I decided not to even attempt it since I wasn't comfortable shooting. This year I have lined up several hunts. I have no idea what I will do when that first deer crosses my path. With any luck(ya right) it will be a huge 10 pointer so I won't have any internal debate!

Old 09-28-2006, 06:47 PM
Boone & Crockett

For your first, who cares what anyone else thinks or wants. You do for you period. My first buck with a bow was a 4 point, long before antler restrictions. I am as proud of him as any I've taken. I was in my early 20's.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.