Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 ABOUT POLL KILL OR HARVEST >

ABOUT POLL KILL OR HARVEST

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

ABOUT POLL KILL OR HARVEST

Old 09-27-2006, 08:05 PM

Default RE: ABOUT POLL KILL OR HARVEST

But why would you ever worry ?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:13 PM
Fork Horn

Harvest Em'and Grill Em' ??? Just doesnt sound right to me.....
Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 PM
Boone & Crockett

anti-hunting groups and non hunters take offense to it and puts us out there for attack from them
REally don't acre what an anti hunter thinks. Really don't think it bothers a non hunter.Let's be serious you really think an anti cares if you use harvest or kill?
Old 09-27-2006, 08:32 PM
Giant Nontypical

ORIGINAL: Charlie P

anti-hunting groups and non hunters take offense to it and puts us out there for attack from them
REally don't acre what an anti hunter thinks. Really don't think it bothers a non hunter.Let's be serious you really think an anti cares if you use harvest or kill?
I agree, they're not listening to us anyway!!! Why should we try to and make them "feel" more at ease by using the term "harvest"??? They could care less what you say as a hunter!
Old 09-28-2006, 06:28 AM
Dominant Buck

I agree! let's strap a couple dozen spotted fawns to our pickups and blare out dueling banjos all the way down to the tractor pull! Heck....We could even add a voice-over accompaniment "kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill, kill". I love it.

When we're done, there.....we can take some super-close-up photos of ourselves doused in blood for the coffe table album.

Youins with me???!!!!

Yee-haw, let's go!!

Jeff
Old 09-28-2006, 06:40 AM

"Take" is my word and I'm sticking to it.

DOH!!! I said "stick" again. Crap.
Old 09-28-2006, 08:43 AM
Dominant Buck

I look at it this way, if you kill it and leave it in the field, you have simply killed. If you kill it and retrieve it to consume, you have killed it and harvested it. You can not harvest anything with out killing it.
Old 09-28-2006, 09:47 AM
Nontypical Buck

About the poll? As far as I'm concerned the poll is stupid. It's not an either or situation as the terms kill and harvest aren't synonyms. They don't mean the same thing as the poll implies so why treat the words as if they do? In conversation when you are choosing the word to use you are not picking between 2 words that mean the same thing so why not use the word that conveys best what youwant to say and forget about the anti's and forget about trying to make a political statement? Kill in our contextis pretty much limitedto the act of taking a life and there is absolutely nothing wrong with saying e.g. you "killed a deer yesterday". Harvest in our context has a much broader meaning and primarily refers to the concept of population control and utilizing the venison as a natural resource. Of course it envolves killingand any moron understands that you have to kill the deer in order to harvest it. There is also absolutely nothing wrong about using the term harvestbut again, the terms aren't synonyms and imo it's silly to attempt to use harvest as a euphemism for kill. It's not going to fool anybody to begin with and tosay "I harvested a deer yesterday" sounds faked and patronizing to me. I might use the term "took" a deer yesterday. If the conversation starts getting into conservation then I think the term harvest is bound to be appropriate at some point and it makes no sense to me to try and avoid the term. Nothing patronizing to me to say "there were x number of deer harvested in the state last year". In fact if you are talking about hunters utilizing the natural resource it would be more precise to use the term harvested than it would be to use the termkilled. Killed would include and imply other forms of mortality like deer/car collisionsand would not as accurately convey your meaning.

Anyway, like I said the poll is stupid. It's more complicated than it implies. I say give it some thought use the terms where they apply and forget about playing games with them. btw, those of you that think the meaning of harvest has only to do with crops are simply wrong and you should stop trying to insist on it. You prove nothing other than you don't understand the broader context of the term.