Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Opening Day Strategy - Soybeans >

Opening Day Strategy - Soybeans

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Opening Day Strategy - Soybeans

Old 09-26-2006, 11:55 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default Opening Day Strategy - Soybeans

The farm I hunt has two huge soybean fields that have held deer all summer. I mean every day they were there. But within the last week the soybeans have turned yellow and the deer aren't there much anymore. My stands are set up between the bedding area and the soybean field.

My question is this: will the deer still feed in the soybeans this fall? Or should I forget about that as a food source and find another spot? The only other food source is acorns (red oak, not white oak).
Old 09-27-2006, 12:11 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: Opening Day Strategy - Soybeans

I have seendeerleave a soy bean field once they have turned brown. but to return late season. if the beans are still there? if u have plenty of acrons still on the ground, Id hunt the oaks if i where u.
Old 09-27-2006, 03:13 AM
Site Buck Guru

No corn?
Old 09-27-2006, 03:36 AM

Go to the oak trees, I have watch deer stand on their hind legs just to get an acorn before they fall. When the acorns start dropping look out.
Hunt the oaks.
Old 09-27-2006, 06:20 AM
Spike

the deer feed on soybeans when they are green and then focus on another food source when they are turning yellow, but will be back in force when they turn brown. Try and find their other food source while the beans are yellow and hunt them there for a while.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:15 AM

Your deer have changed food sources. Most of the deer in ks don't feed on mature soybean plants. Deer love the younger tender shoots.
Old 09-27-2006, 07:54 AM

in my experence the deer will go to the acorns until they're gone and then they will hit the beans again to pick out the beans and what ever else has started to grow. i prefer late winter beans over corn. If you have enough stands leave the ones on the beans and hang a couple on the oaks
Old 09-27-2006, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

In my area, our soybeans aren't completely browned yet. We still have some young plants and green growth in areas. The deer are still hitting the soybean field pretty hard, but like the guys said earlier - acorns will be the flavor of the day, so if you have any access to trees that are dropping, that might be abetter plan.

I'd recommend that you just go out there one night this week and glass the soybean fields - just see what kind of activity they're getting. It's possible that the deer might continue eating beans for another week or so, until the mast really starts coming down. We have a few oaks dropping acorns, but they're still hanging pretty tight. It all depends on your area. See what kind of acorns are coming off, and glass those beanfields. That should make your decision really easy. If your oaks are dropping a lot of mastcrop, and the ground is littered with empty green caps, I'd hunt the oaks. On the other hand, if your beanfields are still getting heavy deer traffic, that might be a better option for the first evening. One evening of scouting should answer your questions.
Old 09-27-2006, 09:08 AM

No corn?
Usually where there are beans, corn is at least nearby.

If the deer will eat dry beans off the ground in late season, they'll eat them off of a standing plant. Standing corn is easier to get and offers more security.

I've found that in the real early season(warm), a lot of feeding goes on at night, so I'll move back on the trails a little bit in the evening.

Old 09-27-2006, 09:19 AM
Fork Horn

If you have seen deer there this long they should still use the beans when they are ready to be cut. I have seen plenty of deer eat beans that were brown during the season. My advice is to stay in that stand.

Quick Reply: Opening Day Strategy - Soybeans

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.