Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Hunting from the ground >

Hunting from the ground

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Hunting from the ground

Old 09-25-2006, 04:16 PM

Default Hunting from the ground

I was watching one of Roger Raglin's dvd's yesterday and saw how he hunts whitetails from the ground, just yards away from their deer trails. He got some really close shots.I think it would be awesome to try this at least once. At first it seems like the deer would see you too easily on the ground, but if you're camoed up enough and you stay completely still before you take your shot, it would work out ok. I also understand that the wind would have to be in my favor. Have any of you here successfully harvested a deer this way? Anyone have any pointers?
Old 09-25-2006, 04:26 PM

Default RE: Hunting from the ground

It's a whole lot tougher to fool a whitetail on the ground than it is in a treestand. The deer will catch any movement much quicker and of course the wind is a more critical factor. Many times you don't have as good a view of the area as you would in a treestand as well. BUT I think getting up close and personal on the ground is more exciting thanwatching the deer from a treestand. My opinion
Old 09-25-2006, 05:01 PM

I no longer bow hunt or deer hunt from tree stands due to they are way to much work for me to put up! I do hunt with a muzzle loader and rifle though. Although I keep my feet on the ground these days. I do have some experiences with a bow on the ground. My favorite hunting location required it. I would have been sky lined if I was in a deer stand. Instead I put my back up against a big tree at the base of a small hill and creek bank. Worked like a charm. I've shot deer, coyotes, and even turkeys at that location. The trick is knowing when to make your moves and have silent clothing, and and put the wind in your face. If you hide behind a tree, you will get busted. If you hunt from a ground blind, like a double bull, make it blend into your enviroment. No hard eges of the blind visible other wise deer will notice it just like you would notice if some one set up new furniture in your living room. Be sure to clear away leaves and sticks and grass so you can make moves quietly. Hunting from the ground without a store bought blind andhaveing game closewill make your heart pound guaranteed!
Old 09-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've takenquite a fewfrom the ground. There are many tricks. Scent control and playing the wind are major concerns for a ground hunter.

You also need the right place to set up.You need something to break up your outline.Inside the branches of a fallen tree, back in under low hanging limbs, sittng on a white oak stump with stump sprouts coming up all around you, a blind made of piled up tree limbs, tall grass at the edge of a field, beside the roots of a blow down tree and standing still beside the trunk of a large tree. I've used all these to take deer from the ground. I also wear one of those leafy outfits which really help you to blend in.

I also hunt from treestands but sometimes there are just not any good trees where you need to be so you have to improvise.

Here is me in the leafy outfit.

Old 09-25-2006, 05:18 PM
Nontypical Buck

I know I'll get flamed for this, but some ppl put way too much emphasis on camo. Its the wind (their noses) and movement that'll bust you.

Two seasonsago mybuddy was sitting in a red folding chair wearinghunter orange cover-alls and was reading a book because we were running dogs and he figured he'd hear if any action was coming (gun hunt). He looked up before turning a page and had two does feeding on acorns within 20yrds! He got one of them but only because he knew to wait for the perfect opportunity to move for his rifle.
Their noses are their number 1 defense, and I would rather be sitting still in a clown suit than moving around a bit the best camo out there.
Old 09-25-2006, 05:43 PM
Nontypical Buck

I've also had deer approach at close range while wearing orange.

To me, when you have to draw a bow, with a deer at close range, sometimes you get spotted. If the deer isn't exactly sure, what you are,and pauses for a second look,you get the shot. This is where I believe camo helps. Its those few seconds that deer is paused trying to determine what you are. I've drawn my bowand killed deer in plain view while the deer watched me draw the bow. I've done this several times.

Yes, when standing still deer do come really close when not wearing camo but when you need to draw a bow, and make movement, while the deer is close, I'd rather be wearing camo.

I feel it gives me an edge.

I've heard of women killing deer while wearing perfume also, but I don't reccommend it.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:25 PM
Giant Nontypical

I hunt in a ground blind when the weather is too bad to in a tree ( like heavy snow and rain ) and have taken some good does.
But when your doing the stalk - n - stop hunting , you gotta be careful of your movement going slow and looking for any sign of deer movement.
Old 09-25-2006, 06:58 PM
Spike

I arrowed my B&C from the ground just six yards away. It was during the rut and all he was interested in was my scent bombs. I sat at the base of a oak tree surrounded by brier bushes except to my right between 2 and 4 o'clock where there was an opening. He walk right up to the opening sniffing the air.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:27 PM
Fork Horn

I only hunt from the ground, never from a tree stand. I've shot deer from 5 yards to 35 yards. I use trees for concealment, no blinds. I always practice scent control and use the wind in my favor.
Old 09-25-2006, 08:44 PM
Giant Nontypical

last year I took a doe,(my 1st and only archery deer so far), from the ground. It was a 5yd shot. I had no cover other than camo and shade. I sat with my back to an oak tree that was dropping acorns. I had seen deer feeding there and decided to give it a try. I was 5yds into cover at the edge of a pasture. It was a pretty thick canopy I was under and it was pretty dark in the shade. Three does came in from the pasture about 30min after sunrise and started feeding on the acorns. That was the closest I had ever been to a wild deer. I thought my heart would get me busted! I waited for a good opportunity to draw and got her quartering away. I watched her lay down in the pasture about 40yds away and she never got back up. It was one of the most exciting moments of my life! Oh and BTW, I noticed those Oaks are dropping acorns again and the opener is Saturday. I think I'll spend some more time in the shadows this year.

Quick Reply: Hunting from the ground

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.