HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Can you Tape Mechanical to make practice tips? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/157810-can-you-tape-mechanical-make-practice-tips.html)

rookiebowhuntr_PA 09-25-2006 02:19 PM

Can you Tape Mechanical to make practice tips?

Hello All,[/align]I am shooting Napmechanical headsthis fall. I want to practice with them but I have read that you can only shoot them 5 times before having to change the retention clip. Can I tape the blades down or use extra rubber bands to hold them down?
Any tips or tricks you all have for practicing with Mechanical heads would be great.
[/align]Thanks![/align]

Greg / MO 09-25-2006 02:23 PM

RE: Can you Tape Mechanical to make practice tips?

Tie it shut with dental floss if you want to practice with it before using them for real.

JoshKeller 09-25-2006 03:30 PM

2 wraps with electrical tape and your good to go.

TreeDreamer 09-25-2006 04:44 PM

I am a big fan of mechanicals. I hope I dont regret saying that on this forum. I have found that as long as you make sureyou areusing a matching grain fieldpoint that there is really no need to sacrifice your Mechanical Broadheads for practice. Sure, go ahead and tape one up for practice, but save the rest for the hunt. I have been using the sametaped one for about 2yrs now and every now and then I willspit one at the foam.

aeroslinger 09-25-2006 05:12 PM

I've used dental floss like Greg. Works just fine.

tschaef 09-25-2006 05:30 PM

I bought some (not out of the pakage yet) that came with some shrink tubes for just that purpose, slide it over and hit it with a heat gun and you're good to go. Just make sure you don't get the weatherproof shrink tubes (for automotive/submersible pumps), they are lined with a goop that melts when heated, then hardens, you don't want that on your expandables.

Greg / MO 09-25-2006 06:07 PM

I am a big fan of mechanicals. I hope I dont regret saying that on this forum. I have found that as long as you make sureyou areusing a matching grain fieldpoint that there is really no need to sacrifice your Mechanical Broadheads for practice.
Truthfully, I've found the same thing. ;)Of course, tying them up with dental floss should keep you from ruining it... though I agree; it's pretty much a waste of time and energy.

Rob/PA Bowyer 09-25-2006 06:15 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

I am a big fan of mechanicals. I hope I dont regret saying that on this forum. I have found that as long as you make sureyou areusing a matching grain fieldpoint that there is really no need to sacrifice your Mechanical Broadheads for practice.
Truthfully, I've found the same thing. ;)Of course, tying them up with dental floss should keep you from ruining it... though I agree; it's pretty much a waste of time and energy.
I have to totally disagree with that guys. Sorry I found something just the contrary and unless everyone, everyone takes at least one shot with a mechanical compared to their field points it could be a huge mistake, perhaps and never a waste of time at least for easing the mind and knowing.

A friend of mine, perfectly tuned Darton Maverick, was shooting field points and Muzzy's together, shot one of my RM Snypers and the Snyper was flying high right, correctly he stuck with the Muzzys but what if we assumed?

This year I have Muzzys and Snypers and field points together. You both are correct, if the bow is tuned all mechanicals should fly with field points but I would never assume that. One shot isn't a waste of time.

KodiakArcher 09-25-2006 06:21 PM

What about the NAP practice blade inserts for the Spitfire? Personally I've found that my field points, practice inserts and fully "live" Spitfires all fly the same but, as Rob said, I would never assume that.

Raxxmaster 09-25-2006 08:10 PM

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

Tie it shut with dental floss if you want to practice with it before using them for real.
Good idea. I always tried yarn, doesn't last. I'll give that a try.