Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Close Bow Shots

Old 09-25-2006, 09:37 AM
Fork Horn

Default Close Bow Shots

Last season I had the closest shot I've ever had at a big buck (12 pt. @ 5 yds.) with a bow. I was 20 feet up in a tree and almost shooting straight down. I ended up shooting rightunder him dueto me dropping my bow to catch a glimpse of my arrow entry. Buta buddy of mine said that I should try shooting close shots like that with my 30-40 yd. pin. I didn't really believe that but I'm curious, has anyone else ever heard this? Or does anyone shoot close shots that way?And if so,bow type/setup probably makes a difference right? Cause all shooters and their bows are different.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:43 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Close Bow Shots

The best advise I can give you and the one that will produce the most confidence is to actually practice the shot. I do.
Old 09-25-2006, 09:46 AM
Giant Nontypical

Bobco gave very good advice. You may also considernot taking that shot at all, as at best all you'll get is one lung and possibly have a very, very long tracking job ahead of you. If he's directly underneath you, he has to walk out away from your tree.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:09 AM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Greg / MO

You may also considernot taking that shot at all, ....
Yea I wanted to shoot him at 15 yards but he was walking right at me. And if he had gotten past it would have been tough to make the shot due to foliage. Also I'd never had a deer that big that close, thats where the inexperiencecame into play.

This was inthe second week of Sept....Thats alsowhy I don't setup in a tree right next to trails anymore,if I don't have to, those close shots are tough when way up in a tree.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:12 AM

ORIGINAL: BobCo19-65

The best advise I can give you and the one that will produce the most confidence is to actually practice the shot. I do.
Old 09-25-2006, 10:38 AM

There is a paradox to arrow flight; Your buddy is correct about using the pin for your longer yardages at such close distances. If you do a search you may be able to find more information about it.

However, imo, a shot from 20 feet plus up at less than 5 yards is marginal. A one lung shot or worse would be the likely outcome.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:34 PM
Typical Buck

I got this from one of those show we all complain about and still watch so I can't take credit. I have tried it and it seems to have made me a better shot.

If you cut a 8" hole in a 3d target or even a piece of foam and then place it at different distances you should be able to go through the hole clean. So if you put the target close to you and you can not get it through the hole then it is not a good shot to take. Again they showed it on a hunting show and I had a old 3d laying around so I gave it a try. I think there is some truth to it.
Old 09-25-2006, 12:46 PM
Nontypical Buck

That close, I would shoot instinctively. I learned to shoot instinctively and was deadly out to 30 yards in my younger days. I bowhunted for 10 years and killed two bucks before I ever owned a sight.Sincebecoming married with children, I can't shoot 3 hours a day like I used to so I use pins now. I think that anydecent shooter should at least be deadly at 5 yards instinctively, don't you?
Old 09-25-2006, 01:12 PM
Giant Nontypical

I think that anydecent shooter should at least be deadly at 5 yards instinctively, don't you?
I'd say if you are going to do this, you need to practice and not assume.
Old 09-25-2006, 01:15 PM

My only qualm, and it is simply a personal feeling...is that a shot that close from 20 plus feet up is somewhat iffy. It is just my opinion...

Just creates a very sharp angle, making it difficult to get both lungs.

5 yards broadside...shoot em' up...it is not the distance that makes me feel uneasy, it is the angle.

Quick Reply: Close Bow Shots

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.