Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 My 1st time bowhunting!!! >

My 1st time bowhunting!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

My 1st time bowhunting!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:37 PM

Default My 1st time bowhunting!!!

Last weekend archery opner for deer 9/16. I went out for the first time bowhunting 8^)! One word......PRICELESS. So here's the story..
1st day it was rainy lightly with slight winds which I fought all day, overcast in morning. After 1 1/2-2 hours of stillhunting through my area (public land) hearing so many gunshot's from the waterfowl guys by the lake near my spot it sounded like I was in Fullujah! I came upon 2 doe, 15 yards away, they didn't wind or hear me, thank god for scent-lok and the rain.
But the doe was in a thicket to the right of the trail, and it was going to go back in the bush and in my excitment I made an error and tried to force my arrow in through the bush on it. Thank god I made a clean miss and not a bad hit I got deflected, yes I learned a big lesson.
Next day out, I get out late (6am) and am too my spot (a field with sumac and acorns next to the creek) and as I am walking up I see a doe at 30 yards, gracefully eating, so I get ready to fire. But then behind her I see mr big buck a 6 pointer!!!!!! I fell to my knees, got 10 yards closer (i'm downhill going up it too the sumac trees and acorns) on my belly I peek up and see 3 or 4 more deer there too. The main doe spot's me we lock stares for eternity and as I try to sneak my bow up they ran. I think my heart is still beating. Gonna go back out tommorow and wait for em in the blind good luck everyone thanks for the knowledge.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:49 PM

Default RE: My 1st time bowhunting!!!

Well it seems like you have had a far better experience in your first few hunts than most. I hope you learned a valuable lesson and never shoot into brush or anywhere something can deflect your arrow. Not only is it unsafe it can cause a bad shot on deer.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:53 PM
Fork Horn

Great story - and good lessons - if she is looking at you DON'T MOVE you will never get away with it!!!!
Old 09-23-2006, 06:41 AM
Boone & Crockett

And you learned a valuable lesson, you can't force an arrow through brush, I hope you heed your own lesson well. Congratulations, that's exciting times and welcome to the passion.
Old 09-23-2006, 07:03 AM
Fork Horn

great story i can't wait for my first bowhunt hopefully on oct.14!
Old 09-23-2006, 07:44 AM

Two very valuable leasons in a short time. It would be my advise to just keep it up.. There is nothing like the thrill of finally seeing those deer to get you to do everything you shouldn't. Time will perfect all of those things, just enjoy and learn from your mistakes

Tim
Old 09-23-2006, 07:54 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awe The thrill of the hunt is an awesome feeling , sounds like you had a good time anyway.
Thats what hunting is all about being out there stalking getting close it really gets your blood flowing.
We all make mistake and we learn from them and in the prossess we have a good time doing what we enjoy.
Old 09-23-2006, 08:04 AM
Nontypical Buck

least you have seen a buck so far i have only seen a spike and i am trying to get big uns round the house so i gotta go move a stand in my big buck hole tomorrow and ou cant move with a doe looking at you that is like asking for it
Old 09-23-2006, 08:14 AM

Sounds like you had fun at least, and learned a lesson, just wait for a good shot, dont shootinto brush or where you think some limbs for a tree that might throw your arrow off, could miss or place a bad hit

sounds like my hunt this last week, was sitting in the stand, almost dark a bunch of does came threw and shortly after a buck comes threw, and stops about 15yards out, i draw back , soon as i come to full draw a doe spots me and blows making all the deer run off, lol yeah it was heart breaking, tired it in the same stand the next morning and didnt see anything, but keep on hunting and waiting on that buck of a lifetime

good luck
Old 09-25-2006, 11:26 AM

Well update, woods were dead for the last2 outings. But I rustled up some deer today, but the shot was sketchy so I passed and tried to circle on them and catch them on there escape route, but they were 1 step ahead today. I am happy that I have seen so many deer so far, but most have been doe's only seen 1 buck, that first one.
I scouted a new spot but it that has many deer in it, but the walk to it is around 90 mins, and bikes are not an option, for the last 30 mins past the farm I go by on the trail. Should I still hunt it? Or is that drag gonna be too much? Also how can I tell what time of day deer are using their feeding and or drinking sites? Thanks guy's without you i'd be LOST. I have no mentor too help me so it has been a little tougher, i've had too do lost of reading.

Quick Reply: My 1st time bowhunting!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.