Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

I got him!!!

Old 09-22-2006, 09:23 PM

Default I got him!!!

I know I don't post often, but I read every day. Here goes....

Well it finally happened, I got my first buck, and it was with a bow!

I had the day off yesterday, so I hunted all morning and never did see anything. I wasn't planning on hunting the evening, my son had soccer practice. Well my wife says that I could miss practice, so I decide to go hunting closer to the house. Last Sat. I had found a real nice deer trail, in a creek bottom, with real thick stuff on one side, and real steep on the other. I thought I would try it.

So I get set up, get everything ready by about 5:10 and sit and wait. At 5:30 I roll the bleat can, not knowing if it will work this early or what. At 6:00 I roll the can over twice. About 6 minutes later he come the deer. He is just moseying along, not in much of a hurry.

At this point I am excited! Everytime he turns his head I move, get situated where I want to be. My heart is pounding, I can hear it. Finally he steps into the spot in front of me. He is between 15 and 20 yards away.

I have allready drew back, and when he steps out, I say a little prayer, pull the trigger on the release and he takes off. I watch the way he goes, I hear crashing, but I am just thinking that it him running through the brush.

I know that I should stay in the tree, but I can't. I take a dip of Skoal, lower my bow, and get down. I just have to know if I hit him. I walked up find my arrow, and lots of blood. I know that I hit him. So I run back up toward the truck, so I can get cell phone reception and call my wife. Then I call some other buddies, so I'm doing something instead of looking for him to early.

Finally I go back down the hill, start easing my way on the blood trail. I find him about 50 yards down. He must have fell, got his horns caught in dead limb, and died.

He was big! He weighed 185 pounds dressed, they guessed around 220 alive. They figure he was a 4 year old. This is my first buck every, and I got it with a bow. Third deer with a bow, and I've killed alot of does with a gun. My home in WV doesn't have this quality of deer like out here. I've been hunting since I was about 10, and I turned 30 at the beginning of this month. I've been waiting for this for a long time.

If your wondering, I shot him with a Darton Mustang bow, that I bought brand new in 1994, before I joined the military. I thought about buying a new bow, but I'm not sure now. It is set at 62 lbs. I was using 100 grain 4 blade Muzzys, with carbon arrows. The arrow broke, but the broadhead was intact. I made a good shot, right behind the shoulder, took out one lung for sure, but don't remember if I got the other one.

I'm going to get him mounted. I learned alot from this site that helped me get this deer. Thanks for all the help. I hope you enjoy.

Old 09-22-2006, 09:26 PM

Default RE: I got him!!!

WOW! Great buck
Congrats!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Banned

Congrats man!!! He is a dandy!!! HCH

Old 09-22-2006, 09:27 PM
Nontypical Buck

Great buck. Where in WV do you live, because around here I see bucks like that on a regular basis?

But anyway, great job on your first buck, and you'll have to do a follow up in the spring when you get the mount back.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:30 PM

Congrats on the first buck. Thankfully I never had to wait that long. My first deer was a buck. But anyways for that being your first buck that is one hell of a buck. Congrats again.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:30 PM

I grew up right around Beckley. Seems like as soon as a buck gets 3 inches of antler, it gets shot. I have been in the military for 10 years now, so I haven't really been home much since.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

Nice
Old 09-22-2006, 09:36 PM

Congrats, a very nice buck indeed.
Old 09-22-2006, 09:41 PM
Nontypical Buck

Awesome! Congrats!
Old 09-22-2006, 09:42 PM
Giant Nontypical

Congrats on your first buck!
But am I the only one who is confused? [&:]Those 2 pics are different deer?
Somebody tell me what I missed

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.