Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 anyone been lost in the woods? >

anyone been lost in the woods?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

anyone been lost in the woods?

Old 09-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Typical Buck

Default RE: anyone been lost in the woods?

I always carried a compass, now I also carry a GPS. Was never really lost, I just did not know exactly where I was. Going for a good walk is a good way to find new places to hunt. It has made for some interesting walks out during the night.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:58 PM

I've been a member of the "fugowee" tribe several times in my "career"

We always carry a few birdshot rounds during shotgun season for signalling either that we're lost (three evenly paced shots means "I'm lost!") or to figure out where we are (call someone on the radio, tell them to listen for the shot and then advise on where to go).

I got "turned around" once just coming out of the woods along a clear path. It was getting dark and as I was walking out, "something" howled right by the path. It got me so shook up I missed a turn and walked a good 100 yards the wrong way. No flashlight so I had to stumble my way back up the path and find the intersection not knowing what the hell had scared the poop out of me that was probably still back there waiting for me.

What a chicken eh?[]

Old 09-19-2006, 02:23 PM

I was lost for a night in the Catskills of NY. If anyone knows the area, I was up on top of Mt. Tremper and Mt. Pleasant all night trying to get to Rt. 28 after spotting headlights many miles off in the distance. I was not a pleasant experience. I got "turned around" at the firetower on Mt. Tremper. I can say it will never happen again
Old 09-19-2006, 02:36 PM

I've been locationally challenged my whole life. Why I do not own a GPS yet is beyond me.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:39 PM
Spike

This month's issue of Field and Stream has an article about the psychological effects of getting lost and how the fear contributes to disorientation and panic. They say that when experienced search parties start finding equipment discarded in panic, they mentally switch from search mode to body recovery mode because that's the usual outcome.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:59 PM
Fork Horn

I've been lost a few times due to my awful sense of direction. If I had a GPS I'm sureit too would be lost!

Old 09-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Fork Horn

I got turned around in the dark, never lost tho, that would be scary.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:10 PM
Site Buck Guru

Yeah, I've been lost. But I found where the bear siits.
Old 09-20-2006, 04:03 AM
Fork Horn

I was turned around once. It was about a week after reading a article about being lost. It said one of the first things that happen is you don't trust your equipment (compass). Thank God I read because that compass was wrong yet I followed it and it led me right to where I wanted to go!
Old 09-20-2006, 04:44 AM
Typical Buck

last year my neighbor and I where hunting at a location that I wasn't very familiar with. Knowing that, before darkness hit, I made my way back to the truck. My buddy decided that he was going to sit until the last minute. Well about 25 minutes after dark, he calls me on the radio saying "I have a problem, my batteries just ran out in my flashlight!" So I tried to pass to him as many landmarks that I could while out that day, but with it being dark, nothing was able to be made out. I told him to head like he was going uphill slightly for about 200 yards. Once he reached that spot, I fired my rifle into the air. He was located about 500 yards up into the woods away. I turned the truck around and put the lights into the woods to give him the guide light home. When he got there I could tell from the look on his face that he was a little scared.

I was thinking about purchasing the Garmin GPS two-way radioes, that can transmit locations to each other. Anyone have them and if so what do you think about them?

Quick Reply: anyone been lost in the woods?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.