Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Camouflage

Old 09-19-2006, 11:38 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Camouflage

So I've only recently have started to understand the importance of having open patterns and that Mossy Oak may not be the best Camo pattern etc...

I'm at the point now where I'm wondering, how important is camo in the first place.

What I've learned about hunting is that if a deer doesn't spook from my scent there is almost a zerochance they will see me as long as I don't move.

So why would I care what kind of camo I was wearing since it is my intention to only move when they aren't looking?

Also why would a camo company put blue in their camo (ie Enigma) if this is the color a deer sees best?

Am I way off here?

Tom
Old 09-19-2006, 11:46 AM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Camouflage

Statjunk, there is absolutely no blue in Enigma's camoflauge. That is fault of your computer monitor.

Camo is important to me because I'm a bowhunter, I have to move. I stand and I draw a bow and I want to do this undetected and when I want to do it.

Old 09-19-2006, 11:47 AM
Fork Horn

Great questions, Stat.

I've often thought many camo patterns are designed toplease the eyes of the hunter, not necessarily fool the eyes of the deer. I've begunwondering if the open patterns and/or ghillie suits aren't a better way to go.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

So you draw on deer while they are looking at you or do you wait till they are looking the other way?

Tom
Old 09-19-2006, 11:53 AM
Boone & Crockett

What do you consider the other way. Deer can spot movement from every direction but behind them. I've had deer that have never looked away if that's the case. I've drawn when I decided to draw. Wearing open patterns, ie ASAT and this year I"m giving Enigma a try, I've drawn when they were coming straight at me, walking past me, under me etc..but to tell you the truth, they don't look "at" me in an open pattern.
Old 09-19-2006, 11:53 AM

the new army acu camo looks like crap in the woods to a human but we changed the pic to black and white and you almost disappear.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:01 PM
Dominant Buck

ORIGINAL: classified

the new army acu camo looks like crap in the woods to a human but we changed the pic to black and white and you almost disappear.
Is that the new digital camo pattern ? It looks awfully "blobby" for a hunting camo . I have looked appreciatively at the digital Desert pattern though , it looks like it would be very indistinct in a Fall woodland setting . The 3 color Desert is good , here's a sample in color:

Old 09-19-2006, 01:36 PM
Nontypical Buck

Statjunk, I see your point. Last year while rifle hunting, I had 3 deer less than 15 yds from me while I was dressed head to toe in hunter orange, did they look at me? You bet, right before they went back to feeding.
Old 09-19-2006, 01:54 PM
Fork Horn

I think camo is important....but i dont think clothing is the most important part....it is important to he hidden by branches, leaves trees etc....clothing is just a small part of being camoflauged....
Old 09-19-2006, 02:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

What I've learned about hunting is that if a deer doesn't spook from my scent there is almost a zerochance they will see me as long as I don't move.
Your right,scent is the biggest factor in deer detecting you,but you will never be 100% scent free in the woods.Playing the wind is probably the most effective way to get away from the deers nose.Period.
Now say for instance your in your stand,or blind and a deer does smell you or a unfamiliar scent in the woods,he will stay back in the thicker stuff,out of sight for a bit intill he knows its safe for him to continue on.You dont see him 100 yards away but he is looking in your direction,this is where a good camo pattern is a definate bonus.You move slightly to make a grunt or scratch your head,and he has you pegged.A good open camo pattern or my personal favourite is the leafy wear in the early season is going to be an added bonus.

how important is camo in the first place.
Its very important to me because I am not perfect and I know a good camo pattern for the terrain will help me to my advantage.I move,fidget,scratch my head,rattle antlers,grunt etc and if my outline is blending in the foilage its only helping me,not working against me.
Besides it looks good

since it is my intention to only move when they aren't looking?
How do you know a deer isnt looking your way from a distance that you dont see?
Have you ever hunted in the rain,or wet conditions and never heard a deer approach.Then you look off to your right and its right below you,I have,thats why I wear camo,because in the real world of bowhunting,nothing is absolutely perfect

Quick Reply: Camouflage

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.