Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 climber+backpack? >

climber+backpack?

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

climber+backpack?

Old 09-19-2006, 08:55 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default climber+backpack?

i just thought of a minor detail..i have a summit viper ss climber...before i left for school yesteday i got alot of my gear ready to go. got the harness all laid out..camo laid out..arrows all ready etc. but then i packed my backpack with the treestand accessories...pegs to hold my pack..pull up rope...gutting knife..tie off rope for the harness etc. im at school so i cant test it out and see how it will work..the backpack is small..i only carry what i need+water and lunch and a lighter and such...but can i pack the climber AND backpack?? how do you guys carry your gear?? i guess i could put it on first then the stand...i dont know..figured id ask you guys...we all carry alot of the same stuff id think....gota have the basics..
Old 09-19-2006, 09:01 AM
Typical Buck

Default RE: climber+backpack?

Mauser,
I have an equalizer stand so it's a bit different from yours. However, the same method should work. I simply use the backpack shoulder straps and put them over the frame of the treestand...on the opposite side of the stands shoulder straps. So as it turns out...the stand is on my back and the pack is last...attached to the stand by the straps. Works out well for me, but my not for you depending on your pack and frame style of your climber.
Good Luck.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:03 AM
Dominant Buck

Tie the pack to the back of the climber so that you can carry both , be sure to tie the pack as low on the frame as you can . If the pack is small enough you could also just stuff it inside the two halves of the climber and secure it with some cord .
Old 09-19-2006, 09:06 AM
Dominant Buck

I guess I'm different. The only thing I take to stand with me, typically, is my bow. I've got my binoculars on one of those bino straps.....but that's be it. Knife's on my belt.

I walk to some of my hunting land.....and other places I'm not more than 1/2 mile fom my truck. I keep all the necessities in the truck tool box.

In this early season heat.......I'm walking in light......and typically trying to get to a hang-on.....to keep from MELTING.

Jeff
Old 09-19-2006, 09:24 AM
Giant Nontypical

thanx guys...never thought of tying it off to the stand..that would work great..i have a waist strap and top strap(it was a hydration pack..but that froze in rifle season or flintlock season..yes it was that cold! and broke to beans...i cant find a replacment in stores..)so ill carry bottles and my gear..i dont need 2 liters of water lol...it was nice though.

SB...must be nice lol....when i hunt around home my walking wont be too far or hard. but when im up here in the big woods my favorite spot is atleast a 30minute power walk...thats with a turkey vest and shotgun which is minimal gear compared to deer season. gota have it all....and i aint walkin all that ways without a couple sandwhiches and water!..plus the hunting gear....great thing about hunting up here at school is ive never seen another bowhunter. granted the first 2 weeks ive never been up there....but after the 2 weeks is small game..im there alot..then fall turkey im there alot..rarely see anyone except grouse hunters..occassional fall turkey hunters......they will bust the thickets and push em right by me with any luck....i gota get ALL my gear 100% ready this weekend. next weekend starts the show..not being home to play with the gear makes it important to get it out and ready early...thanx guys
Old 09-19-2006, 09:31 AM
Dominant Buck

I do the same as Navy. I usually use an API and carry it inverted with the chains up. I stand the stand in an upright position like it would be on my backand just hook the backpack straps over the metal points that bite the tree when you're climbing. It rides comfy and stays there riding inside the stand. If you carry it the other end up just hooke the straps over the front corners of the stand. If I'm wearing my fanny pack for a short hunt, I just put it around my waist and swing it around to the front.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:43 AM
Nontypical Buck

I was confronted with this same dilema when I got my climber this year. My pack fits nicely in between the two secctions and the I just use the backpack straps to secure it to the stand. Works very well and still keeps the weight up on your back so it isn't too bad to walk with. I think if it is hot though, I'm going to have put my pack on a diet as it is getting pretty heavy. The easiest way I stil think is strapping them together!
Old 09-19-2006, 09:54 AM

I do what alot of you guys do i have a loggy bayou stand and my backback,i have 2 straps on the top of my back backjust sattach them to my climber,wish i can get away from backpack but i carry alot of stuff first aid kit 2 harness you can never be to safe food water space blanket ,and abunch of other goodies
Old 09-19-2006, 10:00 AM
Nontypical Buck

I use the side bags for my summit... early season i can get most of my gear in those, as i carry more gear i just strap the backpack to the stand and wear it up the tree... The side bags are great, allow easy access and they hold alot of stuff...
Old 09-19-2006, 10:30 AM
Boone & Crockett

I put the shoulder straps of my backpack over the ends of the treestand. On an Ol'man climber it holds them. That is when I use a climber. I sometimes add a bungee strap to keep it quiet.

Using ladder sticks and loc ons in my honey hole makes it simple and quick.

Quick Reply: climber+backpack?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.