Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Pro shop question >

Pro shop question

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Pro shop question

Old 09-19-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Pro shop question

I agree that it's in poor taste. If you are in the unfortunate situation that your pro-shop is insane on their prices, then they have it coming. If the shop is within a few dollars, even up to $10, for me it is completely worth it to get it from the pro shop. I have purchased everything I have on my bow, including the bow, from the pro-shop I use and as SBG said, there are plenty of other benefits that come with it. When I am at the shop shooting and I have a problem of some type, they throw my bow right on the press and fix it. I have also learned a ton from them and have made some good friends now too.For me, the extra money is well worth it, and in the long run, it isn't very much (IMO). There are so many benefits that come from establishing a good relationship with the pro-shop to throw it away by buying everything elsewhere and having them put it on. Just my $.02.
Old 09-19-2006, 12:46 PM

You have to look at it from a Pro Shops view. If you owned the shop and someone brought in something for you to install on a bow that was not bought there how would you like it?

You can not even say that they get paid to put it on, so it is fair. Most of the profit in installing equipment, is the profitin the equipment not the labor.

You will get the service you pay for. If you buy from another store and bring it in for a $10 install job, you are a $10 dollar customer.You not only will be put behind the other customers but should be.

You also can not always look at a small shop as making a big profit off you just because they charge more than Bass Pro or Cabelas. Those stores buy in suchvolumn that they can sell it cheaper and have a larger mark up.

Old 09-19-2006, 01:08 PM

Let me say I respect what each person here has to say, and so far it appears most of us feel basically the same about our relationship with our pro shops ( friends ) we deal with. With that said, Lonestar, I have seen walmart and other big businesses run many small, friendly, shops out of business because someone was able to save 3 or 4 dollars on something. But walmart does'nt install things, set up their gear, give you tech help, or see what happens the first time you try to shoot your bow in walmart to see how it handles. I'll be reading your name in the paper headlines. What you asked is not " WRONG " but trust me, if you visit your pro shop, make some friends, and scratch each others back, you, the shop, and your local economy will all benefit. Plus you won't get arrested the first time you shoot you bow in the store. A little extra cost, for a brief time maybe, is worth more than all the money you could ever save by buying else where and paying someone to rig it out. And you might just meet your best friend, future brother-in-law, or just some really nice people in the process. So do yourself the favor and don't be quite so thrifty. There is more to life than saving a "buck". But that is just my opinion, AGAIN. And I promise not to post on this thread again......unless I have to.LOL
Old 09-19-2006, 02:51 PM

Buy some arrows or something. A box of fletches or field tips, you can always use those. Any little token helps.

Old 09-19-2006, 02:52 PM

But then again, it's not real difficult to slap on a sight and a bow sling. Why not so it yourself?
Old 09-19-2006, 03:08 PM

The pro shop that I go to is a great shop. He will help anyone that has a problem with their setup no matter where they bought it. His prices are slightly higher, but then again, I would GLADLY pay this price in exchange for his knowledge, expertise, and customer service. Money well spent.
Old 09-19-2006, 03:21 PM

I have a pro shop in my area that would be perfect. I was a very loyal customer, 7 new bows in 4 years, I bought the very first bow they sold. After a few years they were more willing to help the potential new customer than they were me. So I say take it to them, you may be treated as a "potential newcustomer" and get treated better than the regulars.By the way, I no longer go to that shop recomend them.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:26 PM

I personaly dont feel comfortable bringing my steak to the restaurant, and Being a marine mechanic i dont like it when someone brings a part, that we sell, from some place else because he saved $10.00.
Old 09-21-2006, 08:52 AM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone for your input on this issue.

Just to clarify, I would not ask them to put simple accessories on for me. But rather help me out when I need a bow press to install a peep or leeches or whatever I may need a press for and to help set up a drop away rest. They were trying to convince me that a drop zone is the way to go. I would consider it, but they are going for 100.00 to 110.00. I know this is roughly what they are going for from a retailer but I can certainly pick one up on e-bay for less.

I am headed there today to have some arrows re-fletched and have a peep put in. I will just have to feel them out on the rest issue.

Thanks again for everyones view and .02....