Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Im a big softy... >

Im a big softy...

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Im a big softy...

Old 09-18-2006, 10:16 PM

Default Im a big softy...

Well,, I went out for the first hunt of the year this evening,, and had a nice doe come in with a doe fawn,, they came into the food plot at 6 oclock and stayed for 30 minutes at about 15 yards for most of the time.Before the hunt I was so ready to go out and take a nice doe for some meat, and to take the edge off, and to take one with my new bow,, and also to get to take my boy out to find her after the shot. Well when they came out I got ready for the shot,, then just started to watch them feeding. Finally after 15 or so minutes, I decided what the heck Im going to shoot the big doe,, then the little one came over and they started to lick one anothers faces,, thats all I had to see, I put the bow back down and just watched them, I remember a day when either one or both may have been in trouble, but I got more enjoyment out of watching them. So I guess Ill have to wait till next time to try out the new bow, maybe tomorrow. Anyway, it was still a successful evening even though I didnt fill a tag. But in a way, I wish I would have taken the shot, it would have been perfect, I would have had plenty of time to go home get my son, and go back to track her well before dark, but theres still lots of time for that. Good luck to everyone this fall.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: Im a big softy...

I've had similar situations in the field and honestly I find those just as rewarding as harvesting an animal. And sometimes letting the does hang out can bring a buck within range.
Old 09-19-2006, 06:06 AM

I know exactly what you mean. I've been at full draw and let up. It's weird, sometimes it hits you like a mack truck and other times you can't get the arrow off fast enough. Good luck the rest of the season, you'll break in that new bow in no time.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:35 AM

Oh well. I am sure you will get a chance to break in that new bow.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:00 AM

The day I stop appreciating nature is the day I stop HUNTING!

Tim
Old 09-19-2006, 08:13 AM
Nontypical Buck

Awwww...That's precious.
Old 09-19-2006, 08:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Awe you big softy ...
I know how you feel , I would have done the same thing and would have felt the same way.
You did the right thingthough , you still got plenty of time and its nice just to watch them.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Well I cant honestly say Im any different. I feel your pain. Ive had at least 30 fawns/does within 20 yards the first 3 days of the season and must be getting soft in my old age I havent even picked up my bow yet on any of them. Ive also had some decent bucks within range and am just enjoying sitting in my tree watching all the deer interact, feed, be on alert, etc ... I wont hesitate to take a doe when Im ready, nor will I hesitate to shoot at a big buck if hes one Im willing to harvest

One of the coolest things I saw was a little spike watching a bigger buck, rub a tree from 50 or so yards away. He watched from a distance very intently. Once the big boy moved on, the little spike ran over to the same tree and started doing his best at tearing it up, bucking and jumping as he ran off behind the bigger buck, he thought he was the MAN when no one was watching, was pretty funny.
Old 09-19-2006, 09:39 AM

That happened to me once. I was at full draw with the doe 10 feet away and I let down.

It's not any personal philosophy or anything. I've shot fawns and does before and since. It was just at that moment with the fawn following the doe and her yearling I got all mushy! THAT time!
Old 09-19-2006, 12:12 PM

Same here and you are no different than the rest of us! About 8 years ago I had an adult doe and 2 fawns with some spots just barely visible. They came in together and ate acorns and bushes right in front of me. I decided to pass on the deer for 2 reasons:
1. I did not want to orphan the fawns.
2. It was only the second week of the 12 week bow season!

I never did get another shot at a doe that season! Live and learn, but I am still happy with my decision and was rewarded many times over in the following years!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.