Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Nebraska Buck

Old 09-18-2006, 11:48 AM

Default Nebraska Buck

Well guys, the season has started here in Nebraska, but it was pretty warm this weekend so I decided not to go out. That didn't stop a couple of my buddies, though, so after helping me move some furniture into my house, I let them hunt up back of my place. My one friend used the tree where I got the big buck of mine last year, but because it was nearly 85 degrees, I never thought they would see anything. Well, about 4:00 in the afternoon, I hear a knock at the door and there he stands, shaking and all excited. I thought thatmy other buddy had fallen out of the tree, but Ed (the guy in the picture) tells me he just shot the biggest buck of his lifetime. I still thought he was kidding, but after a few minutes I realize he isn't so I get my field clothes on (I was in shorts and sandals at the time), and we go out looking for it. He hit itwell, though, getting both lungs, so we didn't have to look far. 40 some odd yards later, there he lay.

That's three bucks of roughly the same size that that tree has produced over the same number of years. I'm not too worried about not getting a nice one though. The big boys usually come out in force during the rut, and I plan on being in that that tree from mid October on.

On a personal note, I found myself being very happy for my buddy on Saturday, and not the least bit jealous or upset that he got that buck out of 'my tree', which is a big step for me. I think I was just as happy, and maybe more so, that I had played a small role in helping him get his best buck to date, than if I had shot it myself. I was hoping to take that step in maturing as a hunter this year, and perhaps I have made it. I want to be happier with others' successes than with my own. I guess I'll know for sure if I've made the step if I don't see another buck that size the rest of the year and end up not filling my tag. If I still feel happy for my buddy then, I'll consider this MY best hunting year.

Well done on your new found outlook........
Old 09-18-2006, 11:56 AM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Nebraska Buck

Wow, great looking buck. If you ever need some new friends to hunt your land, just give me a shout. I know it would be hard for me to swallow a friend shooting a big buck from my tree. I would be happy but it would be hard to swallow.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:13 PM
Nontypical Buck

really nice buck!
Old 09-18-2006, 12:17 PM

Thats a nice looking buck! Good kharma for you to come.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:19 PM
Nontypical Buck

What a buck, dont worry, sounds like you have a heck of a spot. Once the rut kicks in im sure you will get your crack at a monster.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:42 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well done, on hookin' up the buddy. Great deer.
Old 09-18-2006, 01:06 PM

great deer and I commend your attitude.
Old 09-18-2006, 02:21 PM
Fork Horn

Great buck! Please don't let anyone know that we grow 'em big here!
Old 09-18-2006, 02:33 PM
Typical Buck

Wow!! Nice Nebraska Buck!! He must have been in the right spot. Congratulations to your buddy!

I was hunting this weekend here in Eastern Nebraska and didn't see anything, except for one doe at about 40 yards. The problem that we had is that it rained 8 inches on Friday night so the spot where my stand is located, which is normally a high traffic area, was basically surrounded by water that is 2 1/2 feet deep. The deer just didn't want to cross it.

Old 09-18-2006, 02:54 PM
Site Buck Guru

Great deer.

Quick Reply: Nebraska Buck

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.