Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Saw a buck w/o velvet >

Saw a buck w/o velvet

Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Saw a buck w/o velvet

Old 09-18-2006, 08:14 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Saw a buck w/o velvet

I go driving around every evening looking for deer near my house. I hadn't saw a buck in 2 weeks. Finally saw one Friday night w/o velvet. He's a nice 8, probably 125" deer. The farmers are shelling the corn in a hurry, so hopefully I will see more this week.
Old 09-18-2006, 08:17 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Saw a buck w/o velvet

The Bucks I'm seeing in Ohio are all under hard horns and have been for a good couple weeks.
Old 09-18-2006, 11:15 AM
Giant Nontypical

Time to start sharpening those broadheads Dave. So, was he in oneof your core hunting areas?

I'm hoping to see some of the corn come off in my areas, and get those fields opened up so that I can see what I'm really working with. I hedge that thought with the optimism that comes with the uncertainty of not knowing what's lurking in or around the fields. As an added bonus, an 8' wall of corn keeps passers-by unaware of any large bucks that may be frequenting the fields.

"Nothing to see here folks, just a bunch of corn. Keep on driving." Ha Ha.

Have you heard from Troy, Mike or Ryan? I was gonna give Ryan's cell a call and personally wish those guys good luck, but that could cost a fortune, and I could receive the infamous "Scowl of Doom" when the cell bill rolled in. I've gotta be on my best behavior for the next two weeks.
Old 09-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Nontypical Buck

Fran,

That buck was about a 1/4 mile from my place. I hadn't seen him before, hope to see him again next month lol. I haven't heard from the XX boys, hopefully they all tagged out early and will stick around to see Troy get Ole Yeller.