Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave! >

Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

Old 09-18-2006, 07:41 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

Saturday I had about 5-7 deer milling about within sight when it was time to get down. I didn't want to have deer around climbing out of my stand. I started barking like a dog, this just caused them to look at me [:@] I used my true talker to make a god awful noise and they took off. I'm sure the spot will be okay to hunt again later this week, but I'm curious, what do you all do to make deer vacate an area when you need to get down? I have no desire to spend the whole night perched up a tree...
Old 09-18-2006, 08:06 AM

Default RE: Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

I usually try to get them to go without scaring them too bad,, I dont want them to be nervous about the spot later.. I have thrown small things at them, but then you have to find it when you get down, I have shined a flashlight on the ground near them and moved it around so they see it, but they got pretty nervous about that. One time I started to rustle some limbs and leaves up in the tree, but it took a while for them to leave. Howling like a coyote works too, but they say it seems to spook them a little. A hunting buddy of mine was trying to get a couple dies out from under his stand one evening, and they just wouldnt go, so he took his seat cushion and tied it to his pull up rope, and lowered it down and was swinging it around hitting them with it,,, he said they decided to go n then..lol
Old 09-18-2006, 09:17 AM

If you would have stayed put, you would have been already to hunt come morning!
Old 09-18-2006, 09:32 AM
Typical Buck

I will either through a stick or drop something with as little movement as possible. If that doesn't work then I try to hit the panic button for my truck on my key ring. If that doen't work then I try and whistle. I have never gone past the whistle and sometimes the truck horn doesn't work either. I only have a few stands where it will reach
Old 09-18-2006, 09:35 AM
Giant Nontypical

I don't get out until they leave. It might take a while some time but they will move on. Barking and making those noises is not the way to go IMO. I guess you will find out.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:48 AM
Nontypical Buck

I will snort wheeze at them occasionally. They tend to run when they hear this unless they are a dominant deer.
Old 09-18-2006, 09:49 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Copper31

I will either through a stick or drop something with as little movement as possible. If that doesn't work then I try to hit the panic button for my truck on my key ring. If that doen't work then I try and whistle. I have never gone past the whistle and sometimes the truck horn doesn't work either. I only have a few stands where it will reach
Copper31 deer stand.... .

Old 09-18-2006, 09:53 AM
Fork Horn

Same thing happened to me this past Friday night... I had a bunch under me and in my pathy out of the woods. I just had to wait it out and they did eventually move on. It just seems longer because you are ready to leave mentally. If you are seeing good deer in a spot don't give them any reason to not hang out there again.
Old 09-18-2006, 10:29 AM
Nontypical Buck

Take a sling shot up there with you next time and a handfull of rocks, ive heard of guys doing that and its supposed to work.

Old 09-18-2006, 10:55 AM
Fork Horn

shoot'em. Then you don't have to worry about it anymore. j/k

Quick Reply: Deer Under Stand at Dark Won't Leave!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.