HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Are deer nervous about groundblinds? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/156705-deer-nervous-about-groundblinds.html)

Patriot15 09-17-2006 04:46 PM

Are deer nervous about groundblinds?

I just set up a ground blind and the only spot I could put it is pretty upon with some cactus around it. Will the deer get use to the blind being there and not pay any attention to it, or will they always stay away from the area that the blind is by?

Germ 09-17-2006 04:52 PM

RE: Are deer nervous about groundblinds?

If a deer thinks your in the area, they a nervouse. I do not think they care if you are on the ground blind or in a tree. They do not like you anywhere[8D]

bowhuntt 09-17-2006 05:07 PM

cut brush and break its outline as much as possible and keep the blind from blowing in the wind and it wont be as bad

RDHunter 09-17-2006 05:21 PM

Yea the deer will be nervous at first but in time they'll get over it .
Any time you walk to your blind remember to use good sent control and make sure your blind is sent free too.
You have a higher risk of being busted on the ground than being 20 ft. in a tree so you gotta play the wind at all times and like bowhuntt said in his thread try to cover your blind up using natural dead fall and brush to break the blinds outline up.

hardcorehunter 09-17-2006 05:24 PM

Left out all the time they will get used to it. HCH

flyfishpj 09-17-2006 05:30 PM

Deer will get used to any structure after a week or so. Put it out and wait a little while. That's why you see those proffesional guides hunting with people out of unpainted wood nailed to a tree that sticks out like a sore thumb. They are used to it.

NorthernHunter 09-17-2006 07:03 PM

If you set up your ground blind and leave it alone for a few weeks without even visiting it, you will be alright. The deer will be curious at first and then get used to it and settle down. Then, you sit in the blind a few weeks later and you should be alright.

kevin1 09-17-2006 07:17 PM

They sometimes snort and stamp their hooves when they first see it , but once they realize that it isn't going to move they forget about it . They'll continue to eyeball it occasionally for awhile , but then they'll relax . I hunt from pop-ups a lot .

Diggerr 09-17-2006 07:28 PM

I think everyone has just about covered it

MIHunter02 09-17-2006 08:06 PM

I have a Double Bull T5. I brush in the roof and tuck it neatly into a fence row or at the edge of a field that I know deer will be crossing that night. I do not leave it out because, In my opinion, the deer will have a chance to notice it and might not come back. I set up same day and have had deer walk within 15 ft. of my blind. I don't use any scent blocker on my blind just on myself. Make sure you buy a quality blind as well. My D.B. T5 is great, it has large windows to shoot from. It is worth the price.

neb 09-17-2006 08:18 PM

I USE A DB ALSO AND IF SET UP RIGHT AND USE THE WIND AND BRUSH IT IN YOU WILL NOT HAVE ANY PROBLEMS. I SET UP THE SAME DAY AND NEVER LEAVE IT AND HAVE HAD GOOD RESULTS.

bjanakos 09-18-2006 05:45 AM

Place it next to some brush or small trees and it will blend in.

Last year we set up on an ambush spot with out blinds at 90 degree angles. I was tucked into some brush and under small tree and a hill at 20 yards. My buddy was "Popped Up" in the middle of tall grass at 50 yards. The does never noticed me, but were stomping at the other blind that was further away.

fgdcd 09-18-2006 01:26 PM

I have a dog house that I hunt out of and I set it up in some brush and it has loops on the out side that i stick branches and leaves just to break it up and I put it up the day before opener and took it down after i was done hunting and put it back up when I went back out and I had deer with in 10 yrds of me every time. The first time they looked at it but keep walking.