Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 treestands safe when wet? >

treestands safe when wet?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

treestands safe when wet?

Old 09-15-2006, 11:20 AM

Default treestands safe when wet?

I recently purchased a summit viper and I've only used it once so far. It's been raining the last few days and tomorrow they're talking about rain showers. My question is will it be safe to use my climber tomorrow when everythings wet? thanks in advance.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:25 AM
Nontypical Buck

Default RE: treestands safe when wet?

Yes should be fine , but bowhunting in the rain is probably not a great idea , washes away the bloodtrail
Old 09-15-2006, 11:26 AM

never had a problem useing my climber in the rain,always use nice healthy trees,if you have extra time just prat with ant tree so you feel comfortable, dont forget your safty harness
Old 09-15-2006, 11:34 AM
Nontypical Buck

Yes, it is safe unless you are wearing slick soled boots. I would have to argue that bowhunting in the rain is a bad idea. The deer are out there no matter what the weather is like, so you might as well hunt them if you want.
Old 09-15-2006, 11:41 AM

Treestands aren't truely safe even when dry, and less so when wet. However, driving isn't truely safe either and we do that every day. Take necessary precautions to reduce risks (safety harness, gummy soled rubber boots) and go hunt. If we didn't hunt in the rain up here, we'd never hunt!
Old 09-15-2006, 12:04 PM
Dominant Buck

You should be fine. I have a loggy and choose to use the rubber climbing pads rather then the metal cleats. Years ago I screwed up big time. I've posted this story in the past and will do it again.

I was in between classes at school and went to my local watering hole at the school to play darts for a few hours before my last class. When we left to go to class the weather broke from rain to a light drizzle. Perfect hunting weather. My motto "you can always retake a class but you can never relive a hunt" was alive and well. I had everything except my boots in the truck, but the temp was fine so I hunted anyway.

I screwed up and didn't angle my stand enough and my shoes were smaller then boots so I was killing the mechanics on how the stand works to climb. I was about 20' up and needed to go higher for the hunt when the next thing I knew I'm dropping like a rock slidding to the bottom. The stand did what it should and absorbed most of my fall. I adjusted my stand and hunted that night.

Inow always use the safety strap when climbing in the rain. I also try not to huntwithout boots. As far as skipping class to hunt, yes I would do it every timeit's agood hunting day.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:07 PM

I have a Summit climber. Been hunting in all sorts of weather and this afternoon I plan to bow hunt even though it's raining here in NJ. My advice to you is the following:
1. Be careful
2. Wear your harness and safety equipment on the way up, while in the stand and on your way down.
3. Climb in small increments.
4. Make sure you have good footing and no mud on your boots when climbing.
5. Pick a good, healthy tree with decent bark, like an Ash so that your stand can really get a good bite!
6. If you are worried, don't go up more than 5-10 feet. This time of year you have very good cover with vegitation on the plants so you will be OK.

Same advice applies to cold, snow, ice, or good weather. Safety first. If you feel nervous, it's probably for a reason so don't climb or climb only 5 or so feet up.
Old 09-15-2006, 12:13 PM
Giant Nontypical

I prefer hunting when it's wet and crappy out. The climbing part is where you need to be most careful but it's safe enough. I find that deer feel more secure moving during and after a rain. I'm not referring to a downpour, that's when they hide out. Right after a rain is awesome!
Old 09-15-2006, 01:06 PM

Thanks for the replies. I was more concerned with the climber slipping on the tree then I was my boots slipping on the platform. Happy hunting.
Old 09-15-2006, 02:39 PM
Nontypical Buck

you will be fine . Always wear your harness just in case

Quick Reply: treestands safe when wet?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.