Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Got busted - now what!? >

Got busted - now what!?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Got busted - now what!?

Old 09-14-2006, 07:37 PM
Fork Horn

Default Got busted - now what!?

Here's the deal. Tonight there were 3 does at18 yards. As I drew, they must have seen me, because two of them bolted. One of them must not have seen me though, because she seemed to only run because the other two were. The end result, shestopped broadside at what I laterlearned was26 yards away - apparently trying to figure out what all the comotion was about.

I thought she was at 30 yards (should've ranged her!), so that's the pin I used.

I didn't realize that the arrow I nocked had a bad (lose) vane - but when it flew it flapped and BUZZED like a piece of paper stuck in a box fan! Anyway, the shot was high, and doe number 3 was now off and running.

None of them seemd to wind me.

How long do you think I have to wait to hunt that stand again??

It's a GREAT stand, and I can't hardly wait to get back in it!

Thanks!
Old 09-14-2006, 07:41 PM
Boone & Crockett

Default RE: Got busted - now what!?

It's only a doe with fawns, you didn't spook all the deer in the area did ya, hunt it tomorrow.

You wearing Mossy Oak?
Old 09-14-2006, 07:47 PM
Spike

Lets hope that wasnt all the deer in his area.

Good luck tomorrow man
Old 09-14-2006, 07:49 PM
Dominant Buck

They didn't know what it was more than likely. They caught a glimpse or heard a sound and spooked. Now as for how bad. They're going to more than likely be extra careful and vigilante around that area for a few days if they come near it at all. Other deer that weren't around are OK. But, you have caused some flight. The ones you spooked could be the ones that pass that spot everyday. I'd leave it alone for a few days and hunt somewhere else. It all goes back to the old saying, "everytime in you leave sign for the deer to pattern". When they start putting two and two together they get you. It's a known fact that if you hunt and hunt a spot where deer receive a moderate amount of pressure, you'll see less and less. Every sign post you leave makes them more wary. Give it few days, watch the wind and your scent whenyou go in. Analyse what you did that might have caused them to pick you off. Make sure you don't have a noise in you bow or stand.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:09 PM
Fork Horn

Thanks everyone. There is no hunting pressure in this area, but my concern is that there are not very many deer around.
The owner didn't plant anything this year, so no food for them.
I killed a 7-pointer last year, and saw 2 or 3 does. That's about it.
This year all I've seen are 3 does.
Anyway, thanks for the advice. I think I'll let it sit for a while, and try again next week.
Thanks again!
Old 09-14-2006, 08:15 PM
Fork Horn

Tomorrow... The chances of them even knowing where the shot came from are slim. As long as they did not stare at you for 30mins then see you move then hear the shot there ain't a chance they know what happened. No if it were a middle aged or mature buck I might think differently.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:29 PM
Dominant Buck

I've been doing this bow hunting for going on 40 years. I say I'm successful at it. But, if I give advice when ask people tend to get a little upset if it's not what they want to hear. They tend to suddenly get defensive and tell me I don't understand or something. With that thought in mind I'll try to put this delicately. If you've got a farm to hunt in NC there are deer there. Because you're not seeing them doesn't mean they're not there. Being new at the game I suspect you have and will make the same mistakes a lot of us have. Chief among those mistakes is not changing that which isn't working. Reevalute your stands(height and all), your approaches, your scent control, your movements on stand etc etc etc etc. Avoid the cardinal sins, over hunting a stand, hunting when the wind is wrong, sticking with that which isn't working. You got a whole farm to hunt. There are a zillion places on that farm to hunt. Why take the chance on spooking deer. AND...if there are really only a few deer on the place, they'll move when you spook them. It may not be far, but they'll move. If you want me to tell you it's OK, hunt it tomorrow, no big deal yada yada ... I'd be telling you something that I've found not to be the case. I've shot more deer in a year with a bow than many have shot in their lifetime. Everyone has taught me something or reinforced what I had learned. Become the predator, not the guy who just puts in seat time and gets lucky once in a while. And IF there are only 3 or 4 deer on the farm, spend a week of hunting time knocking on doors begging someone to let you hunt. There aren't many crops in the big woods or on state lands either, but they hold a lot more than 3 deer. Reevalute yourself and what you think you're seeing.
Old 09-14-2006, 08:52 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: davidmil

I've been doing this bow hunting for going on 40 years. I say I'm successful at it. But, if I give advice when ask people tend to get a little upset if it's not what they want to hear. They tend to suddenly get defensive and tell me I don't understand or something. With that thought in mind I'll try to put this delicately. If you've got a farm to hunt in NC there are deer there. Because you're not seeing them doesn't mean they're not there. Being new at the game I suspect you have and will make the same mistakes a lot of us have. Chief among those mistakes is not changing that which isn't working. Reevalute your stands(height and all), your approaches, your scent control, your movements on stand etc etc etc etc. Avoid the cardinal sins, over hunting a stand, hunting when the wind is wrong, sticking with that which isn't working. You got a whole farm to hunt. There are a zillion places on that farm to hunt. Why take the chance on spooking deer. AND...if there are really only a few deer on the place, they'll move when you spook them. It may not be far, but they'll move. If you want me to tell you it's OK, hunt it tomorrow, no big deal yada yada ... I'd be telling you something that I've found not to be the case. I've shot more deer in a year with a bow than many have shot in their lifetime. Everyone has taught me something or reinforced what I had learned. Become the predator, not the guy who just puts in seat time and gets lucky once in a while. And IF there are only 3 or 4 deer on the farm, spend a week of hunting time knocking on doors begging someone to let you hunt. There aren't many crops in the big woods or on state lands either, but they hold a lot more than 3 deer. Reevalute yourself and what you think you're seeing.
Sounds like sound advice.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:14 PM
Fork Horn

......uhm......okay!
Thanks!
Old 09-14-2006, 09:15 PM
Nontypical Buck

If they saw you move the stand. Or wait a week or two. I have 3 stands up on about 20ac. for different conditions. I've seen deer that had busted me avoid the area I mean I'd see them coming and then at about 50yds they'd veer off and go a different way. If they saw you that stand is toast for this year except maybe during the rut when all hell breaks loose.

Quick Reply: Got busted - now what!?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.