Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Target Panic...HELP!!!! >

Target Panic...HELP!!!!

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Target Panic...HELP!!!!

Old 09-13-2006, 10:47 PM

Default Target Panic...HELP!!!!

Okay everyone. I'm looking for some advice here. I feel very confident in my archery skills for hunting. Out to about 40 yards, I'm comfortable knowing I can hit the kill zone of a deer. However, I don't want to just be able to hit the kill zone...I want to "pick the hair". For years, I've had a problem with "target panic." I can draw my bow back without an arrow, and hold the pin on the target all day long, but as soon as I knock an arrow and draw back again, the pin "floats" over the target and it's all I can do to bring it back down on target. I've learned to compensate for this and release as I'm "dropping in" to the target, but for competition shooting, it's just too inconsistent. What can I do?
Old 09-13-2006, 11:10 PM
Fork Horn

Default RE: Target Panic...HELP!!!!

The best thing i have found to dois draw anchor and hold the pin until you become tired but do not actually shoot then let down and after you do this three or four times move quite close like 10 yards when no ones watching and pic a tiny spot and squeeze then repeat. if you cannot hold on the target for more than 10 seconds without moving then dont shoot
Old 09-14-2006, 05:21 AM
Nontypical Buck

as much as you dont want to hear this, its going to take time to get over. Get about 5 yards from your target. nock an arrow, Draw back, and line the sight up with the bull. hold on the bull for as long as you can and then let down. Repeat about 100 times, for a week or so.

Next, find a large target without any dots or bulls. Get 5 yards away again. Nock and arrow, draw back, settle in for the shot, CLOSE YOUR EYES, and just SQUEEEZE off the release. DOnt worry where the arrows go, repitition and form is the key here.

The next week, try to keep your eyes open the whole time while going back to the dot or bull. Then gradually work your way back in range after every few days.

A backtension release will speed things up if you can correctly use one.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:39 AM
Giant Nontypical

I gotta agree with joshkeller

It takes alot of practice , I shoot my bow at three times a week in my backyard or at the local 3D range.
Ya gotta try to relax when your ready to release your arrow just draw back sight your pin on the target take a deep breath and hold it then shoot.
I do this every time I'm at the range and I hit my mark all the time.
I found out thru trail and error that if I try to hold my drawn bow back for longer than I really need to I'll get a little shakie and miss my mark.
When I'm out hunting in my stand or blind , I'll wait to draw my bow on that deer untill the the last oppertunity ( the perfect shot ) if you want to call it that.

Old 09-14-2006, 07:46 PM
Giant Nontypical

The only time I experiance "target panic" is a mili second before release but I usually catch my self before the release and start over. Fortunately I don't get it very often.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:27 PM

For me the proper medicine was a new release called "the answer" made by GKF. It is adjustable to work like a normal index finger release, but can also be adjusted to lock up if you try to punch the trigger. It is very effective in helping cure or control target panic. I've had the painc for about 10 years and couldn't hold on the target at 10 yards 3 years ago, before I got this release. Now I can put arrows in the vitals all day at 50 yards. I'm not sure if GKF still makes/sells this release so you may have to check ebay.
Old 09-14-2006, 09:33 PM
Fork Horn

I'm justing starting to think I'm getting over the same problem. I lived with it for years by shooting okay at 20 and 30 because I could time everything doing the drop into the bull like you said, also gave me a bad habit of punching the trigger. I've beat it by just relaxing when at full draw clear the mind and focus on proper form and the squeezing that trigger, now that I'm reading the other posts those ideas sound like they would speed up this process better then what I did, but it's worked for me, just have to keep myself from going back sometimes
Old 09-14-2006, 10:36 PM
Spike

I developed target panic after having surgery on my shoulder a couple years ago when I couldn't shoot many arrows at a time. I'm been working through it, but these posts should help a lot.
Old 09-14-2006, 10:46 PM

ORIGINAL: cbanman

For me the proper medicine was a new release called "the answer" made by GKF. It is adjustable to work like a normal index finger release, but can also be adjusted to lock up if you try to punch the trigger. It is very effective in helping cure or control target panic. I've had the painc for about 10 years and couldn't hold on the target at 10 yards 3 years ago, before I got this release. Now I can put arrows in the vitals all day at 50 yards. I'm not sure if GKF still makes/sells this release so you may have to check ebay.
That seems like a pretty darn smart release. How much was this when you purchased it?

EDIT: Okay, did a little searching and found something similar to the release you spoke of. Scroll down the page until you see the wrist style releases. http://www.robinhoodvideos.com/prod03.htm
Old 09-15-2006, 12:39 AM
Fork Horn

i had a year were i damaged and lost 15 arrows before the season started, finally i said i had to break the panic (i used to lock up over the target) the best thing for me is to stop trying to put the pin on. try focusing on the spot itself and look "through" the pin. the pin will just be a blur and since you focus is on where you want to hit i didnt lock up anymore. it actually become almost like instinct shooting ive actually been able to shoot (i wont recomend it) without seeing my sights at all just the feel of the bow and my focus spot. i also shoot with both eyes open (helps alot in low light) to keep me from punching the trigger i spen about a day training my finger by pushing on the back of the trigger it seems to put tension on the mucle yod use to punch the trigger then slowly slide it along the trigger and just lightly hit the tip. strange thing for me though is even before the season i lost all those arrows i had target panic bad, but never on a deer.

Quick Reply: Target Panic...HELP!!!!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.