Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?) >

Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?)

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.

Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?)

Old 09-13-2006, 12:45 PM

Default RE: Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?)

I am taking my 7-yr old daughter to see it. Then we are going home and having Venison for dinner. She loves deer meat!
Old 09-13-2006, 12:48 PM

ORIGINAL: NEW61375

I'm taking my five year old. He hunts with me and wants to see it. It is just a movie. It will be good for a few laughs and I'm sure we will probably both enjoy it. I don't worry at all about the influencefrom whathe sees in 1 1/2 hr kids movie, because thatdoesn't even remotely compare to what he learns from me and the others in his family on a daily basis. I'll take the dum 'ol hunter references and stereotypes with a grain of salt, those jokes and stereotypes have been around a lot longer than this movie. For example here is a good one titled "Why Redecks Can't Be Paramedics":

> A couple of rednecks are out in the woods hunting when one of
>them
> suddenly grabs his chest and falls to the ground. He doesn't seem
>to be
> breathing; his eyes are rolled back in his head.
> The other redneck whips out his cell phone and calls 911.
> He gasps to the operator, "I think Bubba is dead! What should I
> do?"
> The operator, in a calm soothing voice says,
> "Just take it easy and follow my instructions. First, let's make
> sure he's dead."
> There is a silence..........then a shot is heard.
> The redneck's voice comes back on the line, "Okay, now what?

[/align]
hehe that reminds me of this one

A couple rednecks are out hunting when one accidentally shoots the other. Hoss, runs to the truck andcalls 911. Operatortells Hoss to get his buddy to the road to wait for the ambulance.

Ambulance shows up and EMT examines Bubba, looks at Hoss and tells him Bubba is dead. Hoss is all broke up and asks what he could have done to help Bubba.

EMT replies "You shouldnt have gutted him before putting the rope around his neck and dragging him out of the woods"
Old 09-13-2006, 12:50 PM

LOL-- good ones- I think I'm gonna do same thing as Reacher- go see the movie then come home and have some deer burgers
Old 09-13-2006, 01:03 PM

i thought it appeared prety funny myself, i'm not too worried about it.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:10 PM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: nutter

it looks funny, i dont think its really an anti hunter film...
I don't think Bambi was intended to be an anti-hunter film either.

I've got mixed feelings about this one, while the kids may think its hilarious, will the non-hunting and anti-hunting adults see it in the same light? Or will it make us all look bad? I'm thinking the latter of the two will be the case.
Hopefully non-hunting adults will realize it is just a kids movie and take it for what it's worth. They may poke a little fun at hunter stereotypes in this onebut it is just a cartoon. As far as anti's, they will never see us in a positive light and it's very well known that they don't like us and we don't like them.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:34 PM
Nontypical Buck

Well I'm going to take my kids to it and then the next morrning we will go fill dads deer tags and show them that TV is not real life.
BBJ
Old 09-13-2006, 01:40 PM
Spike

I think the greatest danger from movies of this type is the humanizing of animals. Anyone who spends a significant amount of time around animals (even housepets) quickly realizes there is a huge difference between human beings and even the highest animals. However, in a society becoming increasingly divided from nature, there is a temptation to be persuaded by cartoon amimals and animal movies (e.g. Eight Below) that animals have human qualities such as self consciousness, the ability to comprehend time or anticipate suffering, etc.

Consider the number of people who think that meat comes from the grocery store in neat packages. The idea of slaughtering and then butchering an animal is repugnant to them which is hypocritical since that is the only way for them to get that package of hamburger. It was not so long ago that slaughtering/butchering one's own meat was commonplace: now it is rare except for hunters.

Of course, any one who considers the subject rationally will be influenced more by the sound arguments of their hunting friends than by movies. Unfortunately, not everyone is rational: childhood images of Bambi, a talking deer with feelings and animal friends, together with a general disconnect from the real (natural) world causes them to oppose sound animal population management (hunting) and the benefits that follow (food).

They equate the experience of a deer with an arrow through the both lungs (a quick and nearly painless death; moreso than they are likely to experience any other way) with the same thing happening to a human being. The deer perceives danger and injury and seeks to escape, but cannot comprehend what has taken place nor contemplate approaching death and what that means as a human being can.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:43 PM
Fork Horn

ORIGINAL: Washington Hunter

ORIGINAL: nutter

it looks funny, i dont think its really an anti hunter film...
I don't think Bambi was intended to be an anti-hunter film either.
Acutally, the book Bambi was written in 1930's Austria(If memory serves) and was a political allegory about the rise of the Nazi's. Not dissimilar to Orson Well's "Animal Farm" being about Communism. Walt Disney took the story and used it purposely to look down on hunting. As the story goes he was taken bird huntingas a childby a relative and shot a bird. The killing of the bird affected him so much that he became a staunch anti-hunter.

It has taken 4 yrs of marriage and countless "lessons" for me to just begin to undo the brainwashing that took place in my wife's head by her mother and her almost fascist attitude towards hunting. I count it among many blessings in our marriage that she's embraced my passion and declared her desire to hunt. I still personally don't think she'll pull the trigger when the moment of truth arrives, but none the less, I'll be just as proud of her because she's already overcome sooo many mental barricades just deciding she wants to.

You guys that are going to see "Open Season" are parially right about it being politiclypointless comedy. That's exactly what the AR groups that pushed this project through the studios want, is for us to see it that way. However, trust me when I say that the writters of this film, nor the producers, nor the directors, had any interest in depicting hunting accurately. This Movie has nothing to do with reality. But neither did Bambi. That didn't stop an entire generation worth of city-dwelling kids from associating hunters from murderers, did it? Your patronage of this film is nothing short of validating Hollywood's beleif that nothing is sacred. Remember that 90% of your ticket admission goes to the studio.

What happened to all the conviction and passion we saw when the WHA was all but tarred and feathered on this site for their mis-representation of hunting? But now because it's a movie, "oh its harmless"..... "Open Season will have a far greater impact on children then the WHA ever will. Children are our only hope for the future of this great way of life we cherish so much. Why jeopardize that future by poisening it with AR Properganda.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:47 PM
Fork Horn

Well put BowHntrRick. What's even more disheartening is the fact they are TARGETING children with this drivel.
Old 09-13-2006, 01:57 PM

I saw the trailer and laughed. It looks like the animation, the writing, and acting are excellent. That should be beside the point. This movie seems designed to humanize animals and villify hunters and hunting.

I'll bet you guys don't support political candidates that you disagree with just because he's a good sppeaker or is good looking. The medium and execution are irrelevant. The message is the point.

-- FLIX

Quick Reply: Open Season - Movie (Modern Day Bambi?)

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.