HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   Insect repellant (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/156114-insect-repellant.html)

txjourneyman 09-13-2006 10:44 AM

RE: Insect repellant

Another vote foe Thermacell. what a great product!

GRIZZLYMAN 09-13-2006 11:28 AM

ORIGINAL: NorthernHunter

I don't use any. I find myself not being bothered much with mosquitoes maybe because I am at least 15 feet up in the tree and that I am covered with my pants, jacket, hat and camo mesh mask so there is little available room for them to come suck my blood.
Come down to the swamps of the south. I've been thirty foot up a pine tree and had them find me. [:@]

Changing the subject, have any of you used Permanone for ticks before during deer season? I use it during turkey season, but worry about the scent of it during deer season. It says that it is scent free, but I can smell an odor from it.

killadoe 09-13-2006 11:34 AM

I am from the swamps in the south, I live in Louisiana.. We got skeeters over here...

NavyDeerHunter 09-13-2006 12:38 PM

Grizzly,
I have heard of Permenone...someone had a good write up on here about a week ago...if I'm not mistaken it was one of the Gregs, but I can't find it now. If I remember correctly, the story said that there is a slight smell to Permenone when it's first sprayed on the clothing, but when it dries it's odorless. I also remember it saying not to put it on your skin.
I looked in Wal-Mart, but could not find it.
Good Luck,

RIStrutStopper 09-13-2006 12:41 PM

I've used permanone (permathrin) during turkey season, but had deer come within several yards and not spook. I think it's pretty odorless when it dries. If that deer gets down wind from you, permanone is probably not what its going to be running away from...

NavyDeerHunter 09-13-2006 05:02 PM

By way of an update....I took a second look in WM tonight and found the permanone in the camping section. I sprayed a little on my ball cap and at first there was clearly a smell to it. However, after about 30 minutes...after it dried, there wasno smell at all.

I am also a big fan of the Thermacell and have had good luck with it...as long as there is no wind.

MO_Bowhnter 09-13-2006 05:29 PM

Permanone has no smell after drying. I used it before going out to hang stands. After the day was over I looked at my pants and there were shriveled up seed ticks all around the bottom cuff. About as high as they made it was 1 ft. I didn't even think it was supposed to kill them but ir sure did.

GRIZZLYMAN 09-19-2006 11:07 AM

Thanks for the input guys!

GRIZZLYMAN 09-19-2006 11:11 AM

ORIGINAL: killadoe

I am from the swamps in the south, I live in Louisiana.. We got skeeters over here...
I hunt about four miles from the Arkansas/Louisiana border. I always heard that mosquitos;

1) Can't fly high, or,

2) Fly when the temperature is below 50.

I have disproven both of those theories where I'm at.

kevin1 09-19-2006 01:09 PM

ORIGINAL: MO_Bowhnter

Permanone has no smell after drying. I used it before going out to hang stands. After the day was over I looked at my pants and there were shriveled up seed ticks all around the bottom cuff. About as high as they made it was 1 ft. I didn't even think it was supposed to kill them but ir sure did.
The active ingredient in Permanoneā„¢ is permethrin , a synthetic version of the organic pesticide pyrethrin . It's a potent neurotoxin and kills very quickly , though it doesn't persist for more than a few weeks . At the concentration found in Permanoneā„¢ it poses no threat to anything but bugs . DEET , in contrast , is highly toxic to humans and should be used sparingly if at all .