HuntingNet.com Forums

HuntingNet.com Forums (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/)
-   Bowhunting (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting-18/)
-   -   My parents parent? (https://www.huntingnet.com/forum/bowhunting/155954-my-parents-parent.html)

Copper31 09-12-2006 07:16 AM

My parents parent?

Just thought I would share soming with you guys and see if any of you could relate. I can remember when I was a kid my dad telling me where I was going to hunt and putting in the stands and anything else that needed to be done.I was looking forward to this type of interaction with my kids in another 6 years. But I find myself put into that position with my dad over the last few years. I don't mind it and it is always nice when my dad is able to get in the woods. Just wondering if the tide has changed so to speak with others. I never thought I would have to tell my dad where to hunt and that he needs to sit still and be quiet.

livbucks 09-12-2006 07:21 AM

RE: My parents parent?

I'm finding lately that my Dad will seek my opinion on such matters.
The first time your Dad asks you for advice really makes you do a double take doesn't it?
What it really means is that he has realized you are indeed a man now.
It can be nice in a way and depressing in another.

Tbyrnzy82 09-12-2006 07:28 AM

Just the fact that my Dad ever asks me my adivse sometiime blows my mind. I don't know about you guys but I remember being pretty sure my dad knew everything. But the truth of the matter is I respect and love him more now than I ever did back then.

Tim

DannyD 09-12-2006 07:37 AM

As a dad i can tell you that even though I may know the answer to a question or have a strong opinion on something I still ask my kids (14 and 15) for their advice.
Sometimes I do it because I want to know if they understand a situation as I help prepare them for adulthood.
Sometimes it's just because I value their opinion.
Either way as a dad I realize I don't know it all and neither do they but as a father and daughter (a team if you will)we can usually figure it out together

MountainHunter 09-12-2006 08:21 AM

Can I ever relate. Getting older is part of the cycle of life. Every stage has its good and bad points. When we realize that our parents don’t know everything, it’s disillusioning and scary, but also liberating. When our parents get old, it’s hard to adjust to the reversal of roles for both us and our parents, but especially the parent, I think.

My dad is 80 and he has Alzheimer’s. He’s had it for about 9 years or so now, and he’s fought an amazing battle, but it’s one he can’t win. It’s his second “death sentence” illness (the first: diagnosed with multiple sclerosis 40 years ago; fought it to a draw with a severe limp). I think having already faced an “inevitable” slow death once with 6 children, two of them young, kind of prepared him for what he’s going through now. He’s always been a happy camper and he’s taken this as well as I could imagine anyone could, especially considering the amazing memory he used to have.

There’s a prayer that I really like that applies to situations like this:

God grant me the will to change the things I can, the grace to accept the things I cannot change and the wisdom to know the difference.

Have fun hunting with your Dad. I am sure he will enjoy it just as much as you do.

cardeer 09-12-2006 08:41 AM

Just wait till you get old. You will forget where your zipper is also

SIDEWAYS 09-12-2006 08:48 AM

Zipper???
I still use buttons[8D]

Danny I agree with you 100%.
Ask their opinion and make them explain why. It will open up a new line of communication

HUNGAR 09-12-2006 09:40 AM

I wish I was in your position, my dad was my favorite hunting partner who passed away much too early (58).

Just enjoy every minute of it so you have alot of memories to think about on stand when he is no longer with you physically. I spend alot of my free time on stand replaying hunts and camp happenings in my head that happened when I was with my dad hunting. It is a very good way for me to pass time, 7 years and I miss him a ton.

Chris

Copper31 09-12-2006 10:00 AM

Oh believe me I am not complaining. I am very happy to help my dad out in any of his needs. I almost lost my dad during an afternoon hunt to a heart attack a few years ago. I am always very pleased when he decides he wants to hunt, even if it is a week before season. It was just one of those things where my son (6) and my dad were in the same room one day and I notice that I was having to explain things to the both of them. My dad is still very old school so he has alot of questions about some of the newer things in the sport, much as I did when I was young. It took along time just to talk him into a compound bow. He would still be struggling with his old bear recurve. Just this summer my brother and myself got him a release. He has arthritis pretty bad and we thought it would be easier for him. Getting him to use it is a little different. Don't get me wrong, my dad isn't feeble minded or anything, he still works as an electrician with no plans to retire. I guess it was just a little sad in away because it does make me realize that the guy who could do anything can't anymore. Make one look at their own mortality.

huntingson 09-12-2006 12:31 PM

My dad and I had a sit down last season and we decided that we have to be realistic and he does not have too many hunting seasons left where he will be able to hunt some of the rougher turrain animals such as elk, moose, caribou, etc. So, it is our #1 goal to go on hunts for these animals while we still can together.Like you have all said, it is sad in a way to look at your dad's mortality, but it is an inevitable part of life and I look forward to all of the memories we will make in the meantime.