Go Back  HuntingNet.com Forums > Archery Forums > Bowhunting
 Are you allergic to poison ivy? >

Are you allergic to poison ivy?

Community
Bowhunting Talk about the passion that is bowhunting. Share in the stories, pictures, tips, tactics and learn how to be a better bowhunter.
View Poll Results: A poll
Yes
65.22%
No
27.17%
No plants in my area.
1.09%
I dont know.
6.52%
Voters: 92. You may not vote on this poll

Are you allergic to poison ivy?

Old 09-12-2006, 05:45 AM
Giant Nontypical

Default RE: Are you allergic to poison ivy?

never got poison oak or ivy..I can rub it on me and not get it...knock knock (knocking on wooden desk)
Old 09-12-2006, 06:24 AM

I have it on my damn face as I type... This ish sux
Old 09-12-2006, 06:39 AM
Nontypical Buck

ORIGINAL: gutshotem

He11 Yes-----what do you guys do to get rid of it? I tried scratching it open and drying it with rubbing alcohol but i still had it for about 2 weeks.
My son is extremely allergic to it. He has had it so bad that it gets in his bloodstream and his eyes swell shut. I take him to the doctor to get some prednisone and within two days it is completely gone.
I don't get it much, maybe just a few water bubbles between my fingers if I pull it with my hands.
Old 09-12-2006, 06:41 AM
Typical Buck

I have never broken out with PI. Once to prove it to a friend I took a PI plant, broke a stem and squeezed some of the oil out onto the back of my hand. The next day I had a small red spot the size of a bug bite on my hand. Guess I too am one of the lucky ones...
Old 09-12-2006, 06:50 AM
Fork Horn

Nope, im a lucky one, im not alergic to it. I get it from my dad.
Old 09-12-2006, 07:00 AM

Afer taking many plant taxonomy and botany classes I did some research and from what I can tell everyone is allergic it just depends upon an individuals tolarance. For instance if one is exposed once a year and never gets it and another person ten times and gets pioson ivy once there is a chance that the one who did not get it is more allergic than the next. It's a tollerance thing once that tollarnce has been reduced buy continued exposure... Pioson Ivy develops. I hope this makes sence...

Tim
Old 09-12-2006, 01:12 PM

I also get it if I just look at it. When I was younger I got it REALLY BAD one time and a doctor told me a trick. He said to bathe normally, and then after rinsing off, use LAVA soap (thats the name of it) and rub in all over the broken out areas, and just let it dry on. Your skin feels really dry for a few days, but that trick worked for me. He said that there is something in that soap that helps to cure the breakout.
Old 09-13-2006, 03:07 AM
Nontypical Buck

ZANFAL get this cream at your local drug store, in the same place as the calmine lotion. It works great and really helps to heal the infected area. I use it whenever I get poison ivy,oak, etc. within a few min all the itch is gone and by the next day the area is begining to heal over.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:19 AM

YEP!
I've got it right now! I had a REALLY bad case of it earlier this year and I went to the Dr., I got a "Decadron" (sp?) steroid shot and since then I still get it, buts it's not nearly as bad. I get that stuff SEVERAL times a year. Almost once a month; everytime I weedeat my yard, even if I'm covered up completely.

It's my understanding that Poison Ivy, Oak, and Sumac all have the same "poison". It's an oil and it basically causes a chemical burn. Some people are more sensitive to it than others. When I was a kid, I NEVER got it untilI was 17 on a Scout trip to Vicksburg, Mississippi. Just wait til you get it in your lungs. Be careful burning the stuff, cause that smoke will darn near kill ya.
Old 09-13-2006, 08:32 AM
Fork Horn

Never got it until I turned 30. Now I get it at least once a year. Not as bad as it used to be. I was told to get an Aloe leaf and break it and rub the juice on the affected area. It helps speed the healing up by 5 to 7 days. Haven't got it this year yet. I'll probably get it this weekend now that I've said that.

Quick Reply: Are you allergic to poison ivy?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.